A question about steak quality

John Boehm

TVWBB Fan
I am a new member and recently purchased the Q320 2 weeks ago. So far I'm loving it and have gotten a lot of great ideas from this site, so thanks to all. My first cook involved a couple of New York strips. I went to the butcher for this special occasion and chose the best he had, "prime" NY strips. They were pretty awesome (see pic) but at $19 per lb I'm thinking choice cuts are just fine. What are your thoughts?
6b7642b1.jpg

Hi John, welcome to the best forum on the 'net.
I LOVE steak, and frequently spring for $13/lb Angus Ribeyes.
From the picture, those look nicely marbled, which is what you want. $19/lb is a little pricey, though.

The only grades for grilling you are concerned about are Prime, Choice & Select going from best to less desirable.
Angus beef isn't graded but some angus doesn't make the CAB grade.
In my area CAB steaks run what I'd consider Choice +, it's my favorite when on sale!

i buy the ones they run for 6.99lb. taste great to me. Plus a few beers before hand and taste even better

John Ford hit it correctly,prime grade beef will command the highest price,i very seldom buy prime,i find certified angus beef to be quality,and even the select grade ribeyes that kroger runs on sale in my location for $4.99 lb. are of decent quality. But a certified angus ribeye 18 to 24 oz. is probably what i buy the most.Those are good looking steaks you have there but i agree,quite pricey!Richard

They look great...nice marbling (like Charles said). At $19/lb, you're in tenderloin territory at Publix. If you enjoyed them and they were delicious, isn't that all that matters?

Hey John

If you have the chance check out the meat at Costco. There are a few in the Atlanta area. The meat is, in my opinion, fantastic for the price.

And they often have very cheap 'prime' meat, but their regular stuff is so good I rarely buy it.

Sean is right...I live in Atlanta and buy prime from Costco on a regular basis. Prime ribeyes are now $13.99/lb (they used to be $9.99/lb a year ago...*sigh*)

Those are VERY nice looking steaks but I agree that they seem pricey. I am always watching to see what my local store has on sale or as their specials.
A favorite of mine that they have every couple of moths are 25 oz T-bones for $10.00 each. These are 1 3/4 to 2 in thick and very good. Our daughter and son in law always seem to figure out when I have some of these and ask if they can come over and if I have anything to grill.

Mike

Originally posted by John Boehm:
but at $19 per lb I'm thinking choice cuts are just fine. What are your thoughts?
Since you asked, my thought is that $19/lb is too rich for my blood. I buy choice with no complaints. If you can afford prime, good luck to you and enjoy.

No, I can't really afford 19/lb. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything, I wasn't. Cooking technique/ability plays the biggest part, not steak quality it seems. I am a Costco member and their meat looks great. I'm going today to get some ribs, first time trying them on a grill. If I don't mess them up I'll post a pic.

John,

Even if you mess up the ribs, you still gotta post the pics!

Choice steaks come out well for me and are usually what I cook. The Dekalb Farmer's market sells all CAB beef (for the past couple years), which can get pricey but is much more reasonable than $19/lb. Last time I checked CAB ribeyes were $13.99/lb and strips were $12.99/lb. Oak Grove Market in Decatur/Tucker has great beef as well. That is my normal butcher shop.

John, I think you will love the regular quality of the meat at Costco. I buby the whole NY strips and ribeyes and cut my own steaks and vac seal the rest. Insanely great for $6-7 a pound.

John, I don't know much about grilling—I know somewhat more about beef. My father was born in Lithuania and apprenticed to a butcher at about the seventh-grade. He spent probably 60 years in the beef butchering industry and sort-of apprenticed me at about age 16. Although my education and career was not in his industry I stayed close to it and still remember his teachings, like how to sharpen a knife, how meat is graded and how to purchase it.

Meat is graded while still hanging as “sides” or halves. The grade is determined by the fat “marbling” within the meat. Marbling is determined by slicing into the rib cage, somewhere near the end but I don’t recall exactly where, and evaluating the exposed ribeye.

He counseled to remember that the entire side was not examined for marbling so a prime ribeye does not necessarily mean that other cuts will truly be prime. For general grading purposes and discussions there are three subgrades of the prime and choice grades. Proper aging will have more effect on the meat quality than the grading difference between prime and choice. And his final summation (he tended to deal in absolutes), “Buy top choice.”

I’m retired now and I still do it.

I've never had a bad porterhouse, take that for what it's worth. It must come from the tender end of the animal.

My wife came home from the market today with 3 nice t-bone steaks that were on sale for $3.99 a lb. Very good and very inexpensive. I can grill very well without prime graded meats and be satisfied most of the time. Some special occasions I buy the "good stuff" and while it is usually good, I am usually cheap.

Since you're a Costco member I'd explore that for a while. The quality is very good. I don't eat steak all that often so it's pretty easy to justify getting prime - I usually just keep an eye out for when they have some extra nice ones. You could easily do the same thing with choice.

Ok, my original comments sounded kind of pompous and stupid…
Prime is worth it if you get good prime, not Prime near the Choice end of the scale. I’ve paid top dollar for Prime and it was as tough as Select from a discount chain, so I’m wary anymore. If you pay attention, you find Choice that’s close to Prime. Cook it too long and it can be a little greasy. Can a steak be too greasy though? Not that it’s any cheaper, but I like dry-aged Choice steaks probably better than wet aged Prime cut.

Back