Doing beef ribs AND St. Louis cut spares. should i start the beef earlier?

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
so i have done both types of ribs, but never in the same cook. I have 1 rack of St. Louis cut spares and what appears to be one somewhat meaty rack of Beef ribs that has been cut in half so it looks like 2 racks that are similar in length to the St Louis spares. i'm wondering if the beef ribs will cook a little quicker since it is a smaller cut. if that is the case i could start them at the same time. i'm attaching a photo. i usually trim up my own spares but the Smithfield St' Louis cut were on sale and aren't enhanced.

001.jpg

First off great looking ribs!

I havent done the beef ribs yet(so hard to find here in sweden)

My guess is that the beef ribs and the St will be done almost at the same time. Since they are smaller,but my St. louis ribs is not as meaty as yours. Really hard to tell from that pic. Eather way its not a catastrophe if you take one of em a little early and let it rest and let the other one cook to perfection.

Good luck and i bet you will get more usefull answers from other members that have worked alot with beef ribs.

yea, i will probably just start them at the same time. most likely the boy and wife will want the pork ribs anyway and i don't really care what time i eat. the beef ribs were an after thought anyway. they just happened to catch my eye and i thought they looked pretty good. usually the only beef ribs i find around here are in cryo and you can feel the bones on just about every rib.

Tony -- how did the timing of this cook turn out? I'm planning a pretty similar cook on Saturday. Thanks!

Back