Throwdown #1: Flank Steak

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
On December 1 we will announce the secret ingredient. You will have the month of December to submit pictures to this common thread.

Each submission can include 4 prep photos and 1 plated presentation. Since each entry will only be one post, there are no text limits. Feel free to explain your process with written descriptions.

All submissions should be from dishes cooked during the month of december.

The secret ingredient for throwdown #1 is Flank steak
Flank-map.gif

Good Luck Everyone! I look forward to beautiful, interesting, and expertly prepared dishes.

Will this be a poll? The secret december ingridient must be snow right?
icon_biggrin.gif

Fun throwdown for sure. And will keep members on their toes! Hoping for a lot of contenders.

Looking forward to the fun and hoping the entire membership of TVWBB submits their best efforts, if just for the fun of it!

Originally posted by Wolgast:
Will this be a poll?
A poll would show the votes as they're casted, which might influence the result. Perhaps we should find a voting site where we can keep the results hidden until voting has ended.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if lots of people enter, that's going to be one big ballot.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Wolgast:
The secret december ingridient must be snow right?
icon_biggrin.gif

I hope not, I hear Svenska has the same problem we are having in eastern Canada where everything is green, instead of the usual white...

A poll would show the votes as they're casted, which might influence the result. Perhaps we should find a voting site where we can keep the results hidden until voting has ended.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if lots of people enter, that's going to be one big ballot.

If we set up a poll, I suggest we allow people to vote for more than one entry. If we have 20 entries, you could vote for your favorite 5.

Sounds great, but I have a few questions:

1. Just cook a flank and then post 4 prep and 1 plated pic to this same thread?

2. Any specific timeframe in December?

3. Are we graded based on the entire meal, or just the theme ingredient?

4. Same scoring as IC: originality, technique, appearance?

I'm not entirely thrilled with the theme ingredient, but looking forward to starting the competition.

1. Just cook a flank and then post 4 prep and 1 plated pic to this same thread?

yes

2. Any specific timeframe in December?

I'd assume people would post anytime during December. you have the entire month, so there's no problem posting the last day if you want to keep you hand close to your chest

3. Are we graded based on the entire meal, or just the theme ingredient?

Like the IC battles, I'd say that entries should be a composed dish featuring the main ingredient. Obviously, what that dish would look like would differ if its an appetizer, a main course, etc.

4. Same scoring as IC: originality, technique, appearance?

as of now, we were just planning on doing some kind of general vote.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the theme ingredient, but looking forward to starting the competition.

we had some discussion about the main ingredient, and the general opinion was to pick a protein that was available, inexpensive and versatile. The goal was to maximize participation. Additionally, some of us were of the opinion that some of the IC ingredients were too limiting and actually prevented creativity.

Personally, I really like flank for several reasons that I will not reveal, and that's why I picked it. But don't worry, I think I'm just going to spectate this round.

Can an individual make more than 1 entry? The secret ingredient lends itself to a lot of potential. I can see the possibility of someone wanting to try more than one recipe/tecnique out. If I were to try two or three dishes, with only one being my "best", I'd still be inclined to post my others, just to share. And maybe what doesn't resonate with me might with someone else.

Just a thought. I guess we could always have another thread of "didn't make the cut" entries if we wanted to limit to one per person.

<span class="ev_code_GREY">by j biesinger:
Personally, I really like flank for several reasons that I will not reveal, and that's why I picked it. But don't worry, I think I'm just going to spectate this round.</span>

by Wolgast: I will sit this one out aswell.

by j biesinger: Hmmm, might have to jump in now that I know my chances are better with one less swede in the mix
icon_wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Isn't "jockeying for position" like.... cheatin'...?</span>
icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't "jockeying for position" like.... cheatin'...?

no, cheating would be entering a contest, I started with a secret ingredient of my choice
icon_biggrin.gif
. That's why I'm just spectating.

Bobby Flay picks the throwdown challenge on his show and (obviously) still participates. I'd say go ahead and enter. With an entire month to participate it isn't like you get we huge time advantage.

j, I'm with Pete; go ahead and get in the game! Have fun with it! It's not cheating or anything like that. For me, that you picked the secret ingredient doesn't disqualify you.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Pete and Linda -- you may want to go over to the photo gallery and peruse a few of Mr. Beisinger's cooks before you say that.

Everybody else -- no posts yet? My flank is in the fridge to be cooked this weekend.

I'd say go ahead and enter

Thanks for the encouragement, but I probably won't be able to participate due to my schedule. We are cooking for either friends or family: 12/24, 12/25, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, and 1/7

Back