North Carolina > Shelby: Red Bridges BBQ Lodge

Chuck Piercy

TVWBB Fan
Almost brings tears to my eyes. My first Q joint. I ate there for the first time when I was 4, and love it to this day. Hwy.74 in Shelby.

Bridges is not bad if ya like Western NC sauce. I'm originally from Western NC, lived in Austin, Texas, hung out with ole man Stubb. Bridges has been there a long time. But if in Apex, have you tried Parker's in Wilson? My opinion is there's no pork like NC and no beef like Texas! Kansas City? is ??? and Memphis is ??? Good to bring forth the secret ingredient to regionalist Q: BLOOD! lol Peace: try Parker's.

Red Bridges a tradition. My mom grew up in near by Cherryville. Growing up visiting my grandparents all holidays and summers, my grandfather would always make a run to Bridges for an easy meal for 15-20 folks. I have a half gallon of Bridges sauce in my fridge right now. So on holidays I smoke a butt, chop it fine (like bridges), my mom loves it and always tells us stories about growing up in Cherryville, and summers at Lake Lure ( family still has grandfathers lake house est 1942). So last week for Memorial day and WSM day I prepared my Bridges feast. Right down to the bbq slaw (vinegar and ketchup slaw). Made mom happy. To me that is what bbq is all about family, good food, and good times. Thanks Red Bridges for giving us a tradition!

Been a while since I ate there, but it very good indeed.

Not far away, in the city of Gastonia, is a place called Kyle's. I've been there once or twice, and they have a really good 'woodsy-flavored' BBQ, but their sauce is not that great.

Red Bridges a tradition. My mom grew up in near by Cherryville. Growing up visiting my grandparents all holidays and summers, my grandfather would always make a run to Bridges for an easy meal for 15-20 folks. I have a half gallon of Bridges sauce in my fridge right now. So on holidays I smoke a butt, chop it fine (like bridges), my mom loves it and always tells us stories about growing up in Cherryville, and summers at Lake Lure ( family still has grandfathers lake house est 1942). So last week for Memorial day and WSM day I prepared my Bridges feast. Right down to the bbq slaw (vinegar and ketchup slaw). Made mom happy. To me that is what bbq is all about family, good food, and good times. Thanks Red Bridges for giving us a tradition!

I've got to make another trip that way soon.

Back