Using a 2011 Genesis as a Built-In??

Jason Medley

TVWBB Member
I have a New In Box E-320 For Sale that I got on CL. I had a potential customer say that he wanted to use a new 2011 Genesis in a built-in configuration.

Anyone see any potential problems with this? Anyone done this yet? With the front knobs and N/S burners and side tables just attached with screws, I really don't see why he couldn't take the casters off and take the side tables off and use the lower cabinets to access the propane tank from the cabinets.

I would have two concerns.

First, there must be some way for potential propane leaks to dissipate. Propane is heavier than air so the bottom of the enclosure must be open to allow any propane to drain away.

Second, I would want to make sure there was sufficient air flow around the fire box to keep it from overheating. It's designed to work in the open and enclosing it too much could cause it to get too hot.

Cool!! Is there airflow on both sides (underneath the side tables)? I felt the heat dissipation of an S-310 and thought that it was not getting too hot and as long as it wasn't up against something completely solid restricting airflow that heat dissipation wouldn't be an issue. Anyway, the guy that originally asked never emailed back and I have since sold the grill to someone else!!

Jason,there is plenty of air flow around the grill. The hole in the surround is big enough for the whole grill,and the panels infront are just that,panels. The one on the left is held in place by a brick and the one on the other side is hinged for storage.

Back