Kettle pizza oven ?

Joe S.

TVWBB Super Fan
So i have a hole in an extra kettle lid and bring my grate up even with the rim of the dome or a little higher. With my setup I was wondering what the mid section of the pizza kettle does that my setup does not for making pizza? I was going to buy one or make one but not sure I really even need to.
Thanks

Sounds like you basically have a low bucks pizza oven. It is an interesting idea. Does it work? Do you have a cover you put over the opening in the dome?

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Freel:
Sounds like you basically have a low bucks pizza oven. It is an interesting idea. Does it work? Do you have a cover you put over the opening in the dome?

Mike
Works really well. I think maybe I'll just try adding a heat deflector on the underside of the lid before trying anything else.
Not a nice cut on the lid.
IMAGE_133.jpg
IMAGE_137.jpg

DSC04231.jpg
IMAGE_313.jpg

IMAGE_314.jpg

I always believe the proof is in the results and they look good. I will have to keep my eye out for a cheap used grill to use for parts to do this with my performer.

Mike

I find extra head room to be counter productive. The cut lid should perform better than the kettle oven.

Joe- Pizza looks great!

How big of a cutout did you make in the lid?

I have an extra lid and may give this a try.

Originally posted by Tom P:
Joe- Pizza looks great!

How big of a cutout did you make in the lid?

I have an extra lid and may give this a try.
Thanks Tom. The cut is about 17x4.
I used a cutting blade on a grinder. I think a dremel will work better. I also put tape where I cut.

Originally posted by Tom P:
Joe-another question.

Where is your top vent in relation to your cut out?

It's in the back. I usually have it closed since I want the and smoke rolling over top and out the front. I didn't even think about where the vent was when I made the cut.

Some questions.

Are you using a stone or is that a cast iron griddle?

Do you know what temps you are getting?

How is the fire built, in the back part with hardwoods and briquetes?

Originally posted by J Reyes:
Some questions.

Are you using a stone or is that a cast iron griddle?

Do you know what temps you are getting?

How is the fire built, in the back part with hardwoods and briquetes?

I use a cast iron griddle with great results. I'm working on using my stones and adding a heat deflector above the pizza.

I use a whole chimney of briquettes with some lump and wood chunks. I make a ring of fire. I put some coals in the center but not a lot.
I put temp gage in and it was buried and it goes to 750.
So far I like pizza from my weber better than my ceramic.

Yes the top cooks even with the bottom and no I haven't taken any pictures! You might want to invest in a good pizza stone.I bought a cheap one from Bed B & B and it cracked from the heat on the 1st try (6 pizzas)! I bought the pizza stone from kettle pizza and it was twice as thick and i had no problems!

Here's a link to my setup, I have used the kettle pizza oven with pretty good success. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/pizza-on-the-performer/

Looks like the rollers on your "slide aside" are burnt and melted. Has your porcelain also cracked on the bottom bowl. I have asked the maker of the Kettle Pizza about these possible issues, with no response from him. I don't think Weber designed there grills to be used at the temps the Kettle Pizza thing gets to.

Back