Store Bought Rub

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
I have made a few rubs from scratch, but wanted to know if anyone has purchased any rubs from local grocery stores that they would recommend? I have Safeway, Giant, Trader Joes, and a few other chains near me. I would even order some online, so those suggestions are welcome as well.

I want a good multipurpose rub that works for ribs, chicken, etc. Any ideas?

Mike, I've found that store bought stuff either has a lot of salt or heat. Make my own and can regulate the content. The grand kids prefer tasty but no heat. The grownups however they like a little heat. You can probably make real simple rub from what you have around the house. With ribs and chicken I rub it on but not real thick. You still want to taste the meat. Good Luck with your cook

We have a grill store near us that sells everything you need to grill with including an assortment of rubs. This is a brand I have used on chicken and a pork loin before and have had great results. It's not to spicy and has amazing flavor. Here is the link to the site because I don't think you can find these in your local grocer. http://store.tomdouglas.com/collections/rub-with-love.

I still agree with Paul keep making them from scratch there easy to do and the product will almost always be better then what you can find in a jar.

Penzy's has some good ones.

Greek: Good on chicken & pork
Cajun: Chicken/pork/fish/beef
Gaelena street "rib & chicken" rub: good on ribs, chicken, beef, pork...

Can't go wrong with these three - I also buy their Bold Taco in bulk. Mmmmmm, bold taco.

I keep hearing good things about Penzy's rubs.

However I have never tried them.

I've used Smokehouse brand, its good - but salty.

Most chain supermarkets like Safeway and Gaints should carry Stubbs Spice Rub.

Wal-Mart carries Stubbs, Masterpiece, and Weber rubs.

All are good commercial rubs.

According to SuperPages, there is a BBQ Galore in Columbia ...

Barbeques Galore
6131 Columbia Crossing Cir
Columbia, MD 21045
(410) 312-0150

They will have a large selection of rubs including my fav - Obie-Cue's rubs - before I started making my own.
Sweet Rub for Chicken and Pork
Big Bull's Brisket Rub for Beef.
Steakmaker for Steak

According to SuperPages, there is a BBQ Galore in Columbia ...

I'll check out the web site, but BBQ Galore is long gone. Shopped there a while back, but it closed a couple of years ago.

I've tried the weber rubs and they're pretty good. I think I'll try out the Stubbs Rubs next. I have a bunch of the marinade right now, haven't tried the rub yet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub has been my goto rub lately as it is sugar free. it is a tad salty so i use it sparingly on ribs. on butts you can use a lot more of it. i like to sprinkle it on burgers and chicken before i grill them too.

I always make my own rubs. I don't put salt in any of them, and salt the meat first like Kevin Kruger taught me to do. This way, you can add as much flavor from the rub without adding more salt.

I do buy Penzey's Greek Seasoning. I use it on grilled chicken breasts for salads and vegetables and make a wonderful Greek pasta salad with it. But it is very salty, so I use it sparingly. I'm sure they have others that don't contain salt.

Bill at Texas BBQ rub(link below)has very good rubs as well as some good cooking tips. He is a personable fellow who seems to appreciate your business. AND, you can pick up the phone and talk to him if you have a need to. I've never been disappointed in his products or his service.

http://texasbbqrub.com/index.html

If you go to BBQGuru.Com you will really be blown away! They have most of the rubs and sauces that the experts here use,..Head Country, Blues Hog, etc. I just ordered about 6 different ones that everyone here recommends just to try them. Also good from Penzeys is their Northwoods Seasoning and Northwoods Fire Seasoning. I really like it on chicken.

My favs are all the Texas bbq rubs, Todds dirt. I keep a few john henry and dizzy pig on hand also.

Back