Smoked Meatloaf

Harris Horwitz

This is my first official smoke on the wsm, other than doing a test smoke with old meat.

Two pounds lean ground beef
One pound fresh Italian sausage, medium or hot
One cup Kansas City BBQ sauce
One cup rolled oats
Two large eggs
One large green pepper, finely chopped
One large onion, finely chopped
One tablespoon olive oil
One teaspoon chopped garlic
One teaspoon salt
One-half teaspoon black pepper
One-quarter teaspoon cayenne pepper(optional)

Kansas City BBQ Sauce
Combine: 1-1/2 cups of water with 1/2 cup of your favorite ketchup, 1/3 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1/4 cup molasses, 2 tablespoons of white sugar, 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke flavoring, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder.

Fire up your smoker. The temperature needs to be right at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for meatloaf. When smoking ground meat recipes, the internal temperature needs to rise above the danger zone as quickly as possible.

Sauté the chopped green pepper, onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Spoon the veggies out of the frying pan, and combine with the rest of the ingredients, mixing thoroughly.

Place the loaf/loaves into a shallow baking pan, and pop it into the smoker. Use your favorite wood for smoke (apple or hickory is my choice). When the internal meatloaf temperature reaches 160F, it's done. This took me about 5 hours at 235-245 degrees.

I took the remaining bbq sauce and basted the meatloaf every 45 minutes, starting at the 2 hour mark.

Give the meatloaf at least fifteen minutes to rest before serving so it firms up a little.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Love smoked meat loaf. Like the idea of how you form them. I could just cook them on pizza screens.

When I pull my meatloaf off the smoker, I put a couple slices of cheese on top . The temp of the meat loaf will melt the cheese perfectly in a few minutes. I have been doing hald pepperjack and half cheddar. Wife does not like pepper jack so that is why I do 1/2 cheddar

This is on my list of things to try....yours looks terrific! Nice job. I like the idea of melting the cheese on top too. This just gets better and better!

I finally had an opportunity to plank smoke a meatloaf. Instead of Italian Sausage I used homemade Breakfast Sausage. This one fed twelve with all the fixins:

001_zps4bd8f636.jpg

002_zps53a4a31a.jpg

Back