Aging Tri-Tip? Chuck Roasts? Pork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I always age my standing rib roasts, but does anyone age their tri-tips or chuck roasts? Or pork?

Rita

Tri-tip is a good candidate for dry-aging (I assume you're speaking of dry?). The thicker the cut the better; mid-Choice or better; untrimmed.

Chuck sub-primals benefit from wet-aging. For dry, select thick intact muscles that have not been trimmed of surface fat and that are those which contain finer soft fat deposits, those that one might grill directly or roast without a braising phase--like top blade or eye. (These can be harder to find untrimmed.) Chuck 'roasts'--hunks of chuck cut from hither and yon--and cross-cut cuts like 7-blades are not suitable.

It's essential that adequate humidity be maintained with the smaller cuts.

Pork should not be dry-aged.

Why not age pork? I have had wonderful dry aged beef. Even aged game birds, ducks...so there must be a reason why we should not age pork. Is it the bad bugs that can multiply?

I have always been interested in dry aging my meat. Could one of you provide some direction on how to do this and what are some good cuts?

Jason-- There are a few approaches to aging that are all quite similar. As luck would have it, Chris has outlined a good method found right here, on the site. (If you use this approach I would highly recommend placing a rack on the lid to hold the meat. Though not vital if doing a bone-in rib roast (the roast is placed bone down--but I'd recommend one anyway), a rack is essential for boneless roasts for adequate air circulation, a necessity.)

Try rib roast first to see if the process/result is something you like. Use Choice or, better, CAB, Top of Choice, or Prime--Select doesn't have the marbling/structure to support the moisture loss that will occur. The best cut are the large sub-primals (or significantly sized portions thereof) that are normally cooked by dry heat: loin, striploin and sirloin. (I have known a few who dry-age large roasts from the round (and claim good results) and I suppose it's possible, but it's not something I can see doing. But, then again, I never buy round for anything.)

Use untrimmed sub-primals/roasts. Do not trim before aging.

A second, not-often-used fridge is the best place for aging. It must be scrupulously clean and free of odors. Your 'regular' fridge can be used but it must meat the same conditions. Also:

--monitor temps during aging, especially if the fridge door will be opened at all, i.e., normal use; the door should be opened only briefly and closed quickly

--do not have in--nor introduce to--the fridge any strong-odored food items

--be prepared to trim as you normally would, plus any additional dried areas.

Steve-- There are a few issues with dry-aging pork but the most important is that the connective tissue in pork muscle is substantially weaker than that in beef muscle. All told, the upshot is that the meat ends up edible but unpalatably mushy, or the meat ends up inedible due to spoliage.

Kruger,
Thanks for all that info. Some great stuff. I will have to give this a whirl sometime to see if its is something I like. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back