My 22.5" WSM will be here on Thursday.

Marty W

TVWBB Member
So the obvious first question is what to cook this weekend. I am thinking a butt. I have cooked a couple on my OTS and have had mixed success. I might even throw on some spares just because I can now that I have the space.
icon_biggrin.gif

Here is my first of many questions. Is there a huge temperature difference between the upper and lower cooking racks? Lets assume I have the cooker loaded do you rotate the meat between the upper and lower racks?

Hi Marty,

There is of course a small difference in temp between the two racks. Personally i would rotate my butts because i often find that the heat on the bottom rack is too direct so the meat is always a little bit more dark than on the top rack

Welcome Marty,

For most cooks the temp difference for me is meaningless. I choose the top grate for the food that will be done 1st as it will be easier to get to. You'll find that temp differences of 25* or less are usually insignificant; especially when cooking large cuts like butts or briskets. I'd recommend the Minion Method for a butt or brisket; shoot for your target temp and relax.

Paul

Back