Mike Chavez

TVWBB Fan
About 2lb. fresh Jalapinos
2 8oz blocks cream cheese(room temp)
1C shredded sharp cheddar
1 heaping tblsp dry onion
1tblsp. granulated garlic
1/2 c or more Pulled pork or fine chopped little smokies
1 or 2 tblsp. Honey. (secret ingridient)
bbq rub
2 lb bacon thinner the better

Cut peppers in half lenth wise scoop out seeds and membrain set aside. Set bacon out and let come to room temp. Mix all remaining ingridients except bbq rub throughly. Fill peppers with mixture. Cut bacon in half. Wrap half slice around each pepper. (I do not use tooth picks to hold together. The bacon holds together well if it is at room temp.)Sprinkle with bbq rub. I like to refridgerate overnight. Cook at about 225 - 250 untill bacon is done about 1 hour.

Mike,

Thanks for the recipe. I have a load in the fridge right now and will be cooking them tomorrow.

How crisp do you let the bacon get?

Tony

You can't let the bacon get too crisp. Or all the cheese will melt out. I just let the whole thing get a nice dark color. Usually about an hour or more at 225

Well, I did 'em and they're pretty good. I used too much wood, though, and they are a little bitter. I also skipped the rub because I was afraid of too much salt. Another mistake!

Well worth trying again. Thanks for the recipe!

Thats OK Tony Keep on plugin. I usually cook mine after the Q comes off. I usually don't add anymore wood. Well, maybe just one chunk of apple. They are definitely worth another try.

Mike,

Tried your stuffing recipe for the jalapenos, but used Anaheim chiles instead. I cut the stem end off and used a small melon baller to scoop out the membranes and seeds. This keeps the entire chile intact.

Filled a small zip-lock bag with the creamed mixture, cut a small corner off the bag and piped the mixture into the chile. Stuck two toothpicks at right angles through the open end to kinda seal-in the mixture.

Smoked for about an hour. That honey is a nice twist. They were great! They are about 2-3 times the size of japs and not as spicey which may be a plus for some folks (read "wives") /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hay Don, Glad you like em. I think that the honey compliments the heat. Kinda tones it down a bit for those who can't take the heat. I've considered the Anaheim chilies. My wife keeps on me to use a milder pepper. Did you roast and peel the Anahiems before stuffing or did you stuff em raw. I guess you would have to use a whole slice of bacon for them. I've also considered pablano peppers too. The skin can be kinda tough if you don't roast and peel first. Makes great rellenos too.

I didn't roast and peel, but that would have helped. They would cut easier. Just stuffed'em raw These things were about 8-inches long, or longer, so they make a healthy little snack. I didn't use the bacon either (actually I was out of it at the time), but should have used it to seal the end better.

Man, that recipie makes ALLOT of ABTs. I did one pound of jalapenios on Friday, It did about 18. Then I did the other 1/2 today (about 20).

I couldn't find any super thin bacon, so I wound using Corn King brand or something. The bacon still hadn't crisped about 90 minutes, but the peppers were starting to wrinkle.

Heat seemed to be hit or miss. Some of the ABTs were very mild and some were medium hot. I couldn't tell the difference by looking.

Most of the ladies wanted mild ones, so husbands kept having to taste them first. Does anyone know of a way to make truly mild ones?

I actually looked for some alternative peppers at the store when I was shopping. The only thing I found was Poblanos and big bell peppers.

BTW, for anyone new (like me) who might not know what ABTs are, my understanding is it means:

Atomic Buffalo Turds.

NOW try getting your wife to eat one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clay J:
[qb] (Man, that recipie makes ALLOT of ABTs.) (The bacon still hadn't crisped about 90 minutes)
(Some of the ABTs were very mild and some were medium hot)(Does anyone know of a way to make truly mild ones?) [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ya,Clay it makes alot. And they all get eaten around here.
The bacon usually dosen't crisp a whole lot I just cook em till the bacon is nice and dark on top and the cheese is nice and melted.
That seems to be the nature of fresh jalapenos. Some are hotter than others /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Go figure.
I've thought about using the Anaheim chilies. Then you would loose the bite size feature. However they would make a killer side dish. Would need a whole slice of bacon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
My wife has been after me to make them mild. I have yet to figure out a solution. Of course if they where mild then you would have to take the ATOMIC out of the equation.

Mike,

I made a small batch of your ABTs last week. I used some Chorizo in place of the pork since my wife through the last of mine away /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif They were awesome! I did notice quite a varation in the heat, though.

My wife didn't like them.... all the more for me!

The key to the heat of a pepper is in the membrane. The more membrane, the more heat. If you want to cool the heat of the pepper, trim most of the membrane out since that is where the capsaicin is. You will have a flimsier pepper, but hopefully the bacon should hold the ABT together.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by the heat, or in my case the lack thereof, in the jalaps. The first couple of times I made ABTs the jalaps I used had no heat. They tasted little hotter than bell peppers. NOT SO, the last time. Though I purchased from the same store, the last bunch was HOT. I made the mistake of the cutting and scooping out the seeds of 24 jalaps with my bare hands. After I was done, my hands were seriously burning the rest of the day. It felt exactly like a bad sunburn. I couldn't get the burning to stop despite multiple hand washings. The ABTs brought tears to your eyes. I've given up trying to predict whether a jalap is hot or not, I'll just assume it is and treat it accordingly.

By the way, I'm lazy when it comes to making ABTs and I try to make them a little less fattening. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I use a block of low (or reduced) fat cream cheese, add some bbq rub to it for color and taste. (I never seem to have leftover smoked meat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) Stuff it into 1/2 a jalap split lengthwise and de-seeded. I cut a slice of bacon in half lengthwise and then again across to create 4 strips from one bacon slice and wrap one strip per 1/2 jalap, hold in place with a toothpick. Smoke em until the bacon is cooked (not crisped) and eat. The toothpick serves as the handle for eating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Lewis:
[qb] I made the mistake of the cutting and scooping out the seeds of 24 jalaps with my bare hands. After I was done, my hands were seriously burning the rest of the day. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey Dave,
Been there done that. Next time try rubbing your hand with tomatoe. Fresh or canned. Don't know why it works but it do's

I made these (or a version thereof today).

But my internet was down so I couldn't double check the recipe. I just made them from memory and by feel.

I used:
Cream cheese (2 blocks)
Some honey (a few squeezes)
Allot of chopped pulled pork
2 tablespoons of BBQ rub (the BBQ Competition rub posted by Chris G)

I didn't remember the sharp cheddar, onion or garlic and I think I liked it better this way (mostly without the cheddar, cheese shouldn't be yellow).

I wrapped in bacon and smoked 90 minutes at 270 using apple.

They were fantastic. I almost couldn't bear to share them with the guys (12 friends came over for "Guys Rib Night"). Very smokey and tender.

If I remember right, the amount of heat in a given pepper has a lot to do with the amount of sun and heat as the pepper was growing...more sun-->hotter pepper.
k

It does with some. But with jalapeños it can be different. With the boom in Mexican foods a while back many growers started growing peppers that weren’t as hot. Sales boomed. There are growers that didn’t switch and some planted both. I have a friend that grows them commercially. He planted both and sold his hot ones through Hispanic produce brokers and the less hot ones to the national supermarket chains. He’s since converted to Scotch bonnets, habaneros , and a rotating batch of other specialty peppers.

Back