Keeping Brisket hot and moist

Alexander

TVWBB Fan
I will be smoking 2 flats (six lbs each) in two weeks and need HELP! Here is the plan:
Guests are arriving at 7:30-8:00 and we are eating at 9:00. I want the brisket done before the guests arrive. How can I keep the brisket hot and moist for 2 hours. I plan on having the brisket out of the smoker at 7 and we wont be eating till 9. I am worried that it might be dry and not hot. What do you all do? I read up on the re-heating but since this is such a short period of time I don't know if re-heating it is the right answer. This will be a nice get-together for my wife's B-Day and I don't want to serve cold and dry brisket. I also don't know if to put both briskets on the top grate side by side or one on top and the other on bottom using both grates. PLEASE HELP!!

The first part of your question is easy.
When they get to the point where they are almost done, take them off the WSM, wrap in foil, and place them in a pre-warmed dry cooler and pile a bunch of old towels around them.
If you have a good quality cooler, the briskets will stay warm for several hours. I once forgot 2 butts in a cooler for 6-8 hours and when I took them out they were still too hot to pull.
I normally cook packers and do one on top of the other, but if the flats will fit on the top grate, try it like that.

Thanks Clark. If I put them in the oven foiled at a very low temp. will that work as well?
You wont believe this but my wife doesn't like the idea of having a cooler in the kitchen. Yes I know! LOL
Also, if I heat up the drippings in a pan and pour it over the brisket when should I pour it over? Right after I take it out of the smoker or after I slice it?

If your wife doesn't like the idea of a cooler in the kitchen (like mine), you can use the microwave just as well. In fact, the cooler I have is too small for briskets, so I usually wrap mine in foil and store them in the microwave until I'm ready to either slice them or put them in the fridge for the night. (I usually prepare my briskets a day in advance, then slice it with my meat slicer the next day and rewarm it slowly in the oven or crock pot).

As for the drippings, I would do it after slicing.

Chris, thanks so much! I will do just that. Microwave for an hour or two then slice add drippings and reheat in the oven!! I really appreciate this! I told my wife I would ask the VWB Family and they will point me to the right direction! You guys haven't failed me ever! I will post the pics once I smoke it.

No problem, Alexander. I'm actually surprised no one suggested it before me; this site is where I got the idea for doing that in the first place.

I'm looking forward to the pictures!

I wrap mine in foil and throw it in my crock pot , my crock has a insulated travel bag works good.Thats if the brisket will fit.If not I just wrap and use the crock bag.I also do the same for the butts.

That, re-using drippings idea, is a good one....I noticed Myron Mixon using that technique on the BBQ TV show ...done right after slicing,.... very moist meat
icon_razz.gif

Yea Ron I saw him smoking the brisket last night on tv. Awesome program! I will do the same, after slicing and let you all know how it came out. You all are great people!!! Thanks.

Back