Bulgogi (or kalbi) ribs

Kim Petersson

TVWBB Member
I love the taste of Korean Bulgogi ribs but have not cooked them on the WSM. Tradionally they are grilled and no rub is used. I have lots of recipes but am interested in other peoples experiences. Does anyone cook this style of ribs and what do you reccomend?

Hi Kim,

I believe you are referring to kalbi. Bulgogi is actually made with boneless beef cut from the strip loin or from the ribs, though often these days narrow strips of ribs are called bulgogi. They are often confused because the ingredients for the marinade are similar so the names are often interchanged.

It's been a long time since I've done either but I have always used a kettle at very high heat. If you wanted to use the WSM you certainly could. Make sure you score the ribs deeply--crosswise to the bone--before marinating, if you use a standard short rib (flanken) cut. For a more traditional cut, have your butcher cut across the bones in much narrower strips (I'd still score well though). You can start the cook at a lower heat if you wish then remove the top and middle sections, drop the upper grate (with the meat) right down on top of your charcoal ring and give them a finishing sear.

Here is one I like, not sure where I got it.

This marinade can also be used to make pul kogi (barbecued thin sliced beef), or on chicken pieces.

3 lb. beef short ribs
Marinade (yong nim):

1 cup Shoyu (soy sauce)
1/4 cup Water
3 to 4 Large Garlic Cloves, smashed and minced
1 tsp Ginger, minced (optional)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbl Goma Abura (sesame oil)
2 Tbl. Iri Shiro Goma (roasted white sesame seeds), left whole
2 Tbl. Iri Shiro Goma (roasted white sesame seeds), crushed
few dashes of Ground Black Pepper
5 stalks Negi (green onions), chopped fine 1 fresh chili, minced (optional)

If you use thick beef ribs, score them so the marinade will penetrate. Mix all marinade ingredients and rub marinade into the ribs. Place ribs in large ziplock bags and pour marinade in. Squeeze out excess air and seal bags. Marinate for several hours or overnight. Grill over medium hot coals.

* If the meat is really thin (like sukiyaki beef), just marinate 2 to 4 hours, or it will get too salty.

* *You can add even more flavor and "kick" to the marinade by adding your choice of 1 1/2 Tbl. of EITHER Kochujang (Korean hot soybean paste) OR chili paste w/garlic OR Sriracha Chili Sauce (just use ONE of these, not all of them at once!).

\m/ Gene

Addendum: I smoke the marinated meat before grilling. Cherry or Apple mixed with Mesquite or Oak is a good combination.

Pul Kogi is thinly sliced beef barbequed on the Mongolian Barbeque pot. This is a pot about 18 inches in diameter that contains wood charcoal with a domed lid with bulged slits and a curled lip into which the juices of the marinated barbequeing meat are caught. When the meat is done it is dipped into the Au Jus in the lip before it is placed into a Romaine lettuce leaf which has been prepared by placing a dab of Garlic/Chile paste a clove or two of baked garlic in the center upon which is place several slices of the barbequed meat. The lettuce is then rolled burrito style and eaten. A cold lager beer is an excellent accompaniement with this dish.

Kalbi is sometimes spelled Galbi.

I like the smoke first idea--I've never done that. The recipe I use most is similar but with less soy, a mashed plum, sriracha, less sugar, and a splash of rice vinegar. I'll have to do them soon and try smoking.

Here is one for pork

Daeji Bulgogi
(Spicy Korean Pork Barbecue)
from Cooking Light, 03/05/03

INGREDIENTS
1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek or Thai chile paste
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS

Wrap pork in plastic wrap; freeze 1 1/2 hours or until firm. Remove plastic wrap; cut pork diagonally across grain into 1/16-inch-thick slices.

Combine pork, sugar, and next 6 ingredients (sugar through garlic) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.

Prepare grill.

Place a wire grilling basket on grill rack. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade. Place pork on grilling basket coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning frequently.

Can smoke this also first then grill, fruit woods with some pecan in combo.

Grilled short ribs? I always thought that short ribs were a cut that called for something like braising, as they are high in fat and connective tissue. But then again, I guess the marinade would make them tender, kind of like london broil.

I was actually thinking that they might possibly make good candidates for low and slow smoking...

I like Jim Minions first recipe, but would be tempted to use apple juice instead of water (the juice is a non-traditional ingredient, but I'm lookin for a little more 'sweet'..I also like to use DARK brown sugar)

I received a similar recipe from a Korean shop owner, and she recommended that the oil be added after the marinade has had a chance to blend without the oil overnite as the oil may mask some of the flavors before they have a chance to blend.

As far as the ribs are concerned, If you need the ribs crosscut by the butcher, you may have to agree to buy (slice) the whole rack of ribs from the butcher. Ask to have them sliced to about a 3/8" thickness.

As far as cooking Kalbi, smoking them just won't do. Grilling Kalbi is not a 'set it and forget it' activity. As the fat renders from the meat, you will have to work like a madman to keep your meat out of the flames - I call it 'fire management'. I tend to try to lightly carmelize mine as I'm grilling them - extremely high heat not required. The fat from the meat will render even in a gentle heat which will cause flareups as the fire consumes the drippings. It ain't kalbi if you ain't kickin up flames.

FYI, If you are looking for a reasonable off the shelf Kalbi marinade, Sam's Club sells a 'Yoshidas' marinade that does pretty good.

I second the opinion of Yoshidas we use it here in Hawaii for lots of cooking.

The best Kalbi (korean short ribs) I ever had was a Guamanian Recipe....broke da mouth good!

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

smoking them just won't do
True, but I think you could smoke them for a bit to grab some good smoke flavor then whip them on to a grill to cook, don't you?
The best Kalbi (korean short ribs) I ever had was a Guamanian Recipe
I'm thinking the same but do not recall what about them it was. Never got the recipe. Any ideas?

Found this Kalbi recipe...

I started making these when we lived in Hawaii and they are still one of my favorite things to grill. The recipe comes from "A Taste of Aloha" by the Junior League of Honolulu. Cooking time includes marinating time but not actual grilling time since it's up to the chef.

2-3
lbs short rib of beef 3/4 cup soy sauce 3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup water 3 inches piece fresh ginger, sliced 1 garlic clove, minced 1 tablespoon sesame oil 4 servings

4 hours 10 minutes 10 mins prep

Combine all ingredients and marinate ribs for 4 hours.

Broil or barbecue to desired degree of doneness.

I agree with Peter...it has to be "fire management" not smoked.

Good luck and Aloha!

Im not sure if anyone mentioned this. Every year for an annual snowboarding road trip I make a bunch of jerky. Last year I made Bulgogi jerky, using thinly sliced beef strips marinated overnight in the Bulgogi marinade of your choice. Then dehydrated or slow and realllll low in the WSM. You can put a toothpick through the meat at one tip and hang them through the top grate you can smoke a ton of jerky that way. The taste was AWESOME. I used black cherry wood for the smoke and MAN I cant wait to make it again this year. I'll take pics this time around.

The recipe my girlfriend's parents (from Korea) use is a bit simpler...

1 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
Garlic to taste

Sometimes they use varying (and optional) amounts of:
Fresh ginger
Asian pear puree
Green onion

Her parents like to cook them on high, direct heat the entire time. I prefer searing them for maybe a minute or two a side, then finishing with indirect heat. I've never used a smoke wood, since the charcoal adds a nice smoky flavor as-is, but I've considering trying either a mild fruit wood, or doing a Chinese-style smoke pack, with tea leaves and star anise as the base components.

Sean;

You have the secret, Asian Pear,the acids in the pear work as a meat tenderisor and when you put the short ribs into that marinade in big bowl or pastic bag over night in the frig they get real nice and soft. But you can marinade for as little as 2 hours. Now I have done these ribs in a fry pan, in the oven under the broiler, and on a regular BBQ,(which is the best).As stated earlier fire management is the key I like to set my grill up with hot side cool side system, sear them on both sides quickly then pull them back to slow cook through.
Only takes about 8-10 minutes total per slice.
Serve with white rice and a couple of different Kimchi's,and bowl of hot & sour soup and you are go to go. Oh yeah, to drink a OB,or Hite, or I can settle for a american beer.
Kevin

I agree. The Asian pear puree is the secret to Korean meat marinades both as a tenderizer and flavor component. It is often left out of Americanized versions of recipies due to earlier lack of availability and/or perceived confusion vs. western pears. I planted an Asian pear in my front yard solely for Korean cooking. Since they all ripen at approximately the same time, I trim, core and puree them en mass and measure out and freeze portions for use throughout the year. The source I used for mine is www.ediblelandscaping.com They have an amazing variety of cool food plants.

I make short ribs on my Weber gas grill or my WSM. My favorite rub recipe uses Chinese 5 spice powder, but any rub will do. It takes about 1-1/2 hour on the grill and about 2-3 hours at about 250 degrees on the WSM. All the fat is rendered and the final ribs are moist and delish!

Marinade:
• 3 TB light soy sauce
• 2 TB dark soy sauce
• 1/3 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 3 tsp five-spice powder
• 4 tsp brown sugar
• 2 tsp minced ginger
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1 scallion (green onion, spring onion), finely chopped

My wife's family is Korean and their recipe for marinade is very similar. But they use a can of coke. Marinade for several hours and grill over high heat.

Here is one I like, not sure where I got it.

This marinade can also be used to make pul kogi (barbecued thin sliced beef), or on chicken pieces.

3 lb. beef short ribs
Marinade (yong nim):

1 cup Shoyu (soy sauce)
1/4 cup Water
3 to 4 Large Garlic Cloves, smashed and minced
1 tsp Ginger, minced (optional)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbl Goma Abura (sesame oil)
2 Tbl. Iri Shiro Goma (roasted white sesame seeds), left whole
2 Tbl. Iri Shiro Goma (roasted white sesame seeds), crushed
few dashes of Ground Black Pepper
5 stalks Negi (green onions), chopped fine 1 fresh chili, minced (optional)

If you use thick beef ribs, score them so the marinade will penetrate. Mix all marinade ingredients and rub marinade into the ribs. Place ribs in large ziplock bags and pour marinade in. Squeeze out excess air and seal bags. Marinate for several hours or overnight. Grill over medium hot coals.

* If the meat is really thin (like sukiyaki beef), just marinate 2 to 4 hours, or it will get too salty.

* *You can add even more flavor and "kick" to the marinade by adding your choice of 1 1/2 Tbl. of EITHER Kochujang (Korean hot soybean paste) OR chili paste w/garlic OR Sriracha Chili Sauce (just use ONE of these, not all of them at once!).

\m/ Gene

Addendum: I smoke the marinated meat before grilling. Cherry or Apple mixed with Mesquite or Oak is a good combination.

Pul Kogi is thinly sliced beef barbequed on the Mongolian Barbeque pot. This is a pot about 18 inches in diameter that contains wood charcoal with a domed lid with bulged slits and a curled lip into which the juices of the marinated barbequeing meat are caught. When the meat is done it is dipped into the Au Jus in the lip before it is placed into a Romaine lettuce leaf which has been prepared by placing a dab of Garlic/Chile paste a clove or two of baked garlic in the center upon which is place several slices of the barbequed meat. The lettuce is then rolled burrito style and eaten. A cold lager beer is an excellent accompaniement with this dish.

Kalbi is sometimes spelled Galbi.

Galbi is the Korean spelling, love your recipe we add a 1/4 cup of grated Asian pear or you can american pear, or lemon lime soda, the acid breaks the meat fibers down and tenderizes to make it very soft, i usually grill these indirect with a quick sear on each side.
served with rice , Kimchi ( many types) lettuce leafs for a wrap and soybean red pepper paste.
I am diabetic so i use honey instead of any sugar.
the best meal on earth.

I've been to Korea about 6-7 times. The last time I was there (2009) they were in the process of De-Americanizing the spelling of their cities, replacing the Ts with Ds. Tongduchon = Dongducheon, Taegu = Daegu, etc.

Back