I think I've had it with FoodSaver!! *****

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a FoodSaver model V2480 that I got soon after that model was introduced--maybe 2-1/2 years ago. Been noticing that the pump seems to get weaker the longer you seal. Last night sealed two gallon sized bags of meat fine, slow on the third one, and just would not seal the fourth one no matter what we tried. Parked it for about an hour and then tried again--sealed great. Lady at Jardine customer service said "pump might be weak, but I'm sorry, all I can do is offer 10% discount on another. I can't throw it to the curb just yet 'cause it is all we have, but I'm thinking that when I buy again it probably WILL NOT BE A FOODSAVER!
icon_mad.gif

Suggestions, anyone?

I just Googled "problem with FoodSaver" and it appears that we are two amongst MANY. One person said that he/she had "owned about six FS from cheapest to most expensive and NONE worked very long", that "the company has done a great job of hoodwinking the public".

I've seen posts and ads for others, but I think we had best be preparing to get off the wallet!!

Well, I guess I got one of their bad units because mines about 5 years old and still working fine.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Mine works fine on four or five small bags, but anything large it lays down and rolls over after about two bags. I don't know the relationship between Tilia and Jardene, but I'm wondering if Jardene(sp?) didn't buy Tilia and let the product and customer service go to down the drain. When I called their phone options went from Foodsaver to Ball and Kerr jars, to I don't even remember what else--I even got something about Sunbeam!
icon_mad.gif

I have had my model 1050 for at least 5 years and it's still going strong. I must use it several times a day because I store a lot of dry grains, spices/herbs, and such in Mason jars. Maybe I shouldn't brag on it. I wonder if the problem is with the newer models? I'm really sorry to hear that there are problems.

Rita

Yep! Mines the Model 1050 also.
icon_cool.gif
I don't use mine as often as Rita so maybe mine will get passed on to one of my kids.
icon_wink.gif
Too bad they don't make them like that anymore..

Bill

Yep to the 1050, I killed mine, my own fault though. Went out and replaced it with the 1080 3+ years ago and it works great. Large bags small bags even 2+ foot long pepperonis I get from Penn Mac are no problem. I buy 10 of them at a time and foodsaver them 5 to a bag. Take one out and reseal the bag. Just vac sealed 12 bags of pork chops back to back a couple of weeks ago no problems. It's a shame to hear that the newer models are failing. IIRC, some hear have mentioned the one Cabela's sells as being a high end sealer, it's pricey though.

Only problem is that the Cabelas' sealer does not do jars, at least when I checked a few months ago.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Only problem is that the Cabelas' sealer does not do jars, at least when I checked a few months ago.

Rita
Thanks for the info on that Rita. I love the jar sealer feature on the FS.

I have the cheap 550 that my mother in law found at a yardsale for $15. It appears to have never been used. Works great, and it is an important tool for my competition bbq.

Just to add a note here…

The manual for the 1050 specifies to wait at least 20 seconds between seals to allow for the unit to cool. I always thought this was for the heat sealer but it could be for the other inner workings of the vac sealer as well. My wife and I have a routine that takes between 20 and 30 seconds between seals (and we almost always double seal) so this has never been an issue for us. I don’t know what the newer manuals say but a wait between every seal may extend the life of your vac sealer. Just an FYI..
icon_smile.gif

Bill

I have the same problem.If anyone knows of something better than the foodsaver, I'm all ears.
See here. (Comes with a vac hose as well.)

Waiting between seals does seem to make a huge difference with FoodSavers.

Bryan - which Cablela's sealer? This one?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link....Ntt=sealer&noImage=0

If so I would recommend this model instead:

http://www.sealerbags.com/vacuum_sealers.php

I have a Pro2300. Got it on Ebay for $350 which is unusual, they usually sell for list, don't see them discounted much. It does work with jar sealers and any of the Food Saver type accessories. Watch the video and you will see a jar sealer in use. Cabela's works the same I believe.

People get confused because there is no external port for the accessories. But you just have to open the sealer lid and attach the hose there.

The 2300 I like better than the Cabela's version because it has a constant run fan for cooling and a faster cycle time. Cabela's uses that area where the fan should be for cord storage instead.

These things go to 28hg, have dual piston pumps and a nice wide heat seal. Probably the best semi commercial sealer before you get into commercial vac chamber style. Also 15" wide sealing area. In addition you can buy parts direct should something go wrong.

I actually sealed a whole spiral ham. The site I show above also has bulk bags priced pretty reasonable.

Since you're in Lancaster - you should give these guys a call to see if they have them in stock:

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/page5.html

They also sell the bulk bags and rolls.

They are a huge and reputable Bowhunting store that also got into selling food storage and sausage making equipment. This is actually where my unit came from that I bought on Ebay. Picked up there to save on shipping, and have been back out a few times while in York to pick up bags.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bowhunters-Superstore_W0QQcolZ4Q...Q2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm

To clarify about the Jar Sealers for the machines at :

http://www.dougcare.com/foodstorage/homeequip.htm#foodvac

I had some conversation with Doug Care about them. He was very nice in answering my questions, as you will see:

Doug, Which of your machines has a jar sealer for wide- and narrow-mouth Mason jars?

Rita,
We don't have a jar sealer attachment. The Foodsaver one can be easily adapted to our Food Vac, Fast Vac or Mini-2010 machines.

Doug,
So you're saying that the FoodSaver jar sealers and the accompanying hose will fit into the ports on the 3 machines you mention? Have you actually tried them to see if they will actually seal the Mason jars in conjunction with your machines? And the vacuum will hold? I think I do as many jars as I do bags, so that feature is quite important to me.

Rita,
Our three machines all have the accessory vacuum port. The hose that fits on this port is a little larger diameter than the foodsaver hose. I don't have a Foodsaver hose anymore but I do have the wide jar accessory. All you have to do to match them up is take the smaller diameter Foodsaver hose and push it into our hose. You may or may not need to clamp it, depending on how tight it is. And, yes, I have used our machines with the Foodsaver jar accessory. Worked fine because once the hose is set up the vacuum levels are about the same. One thing...we are out of stock on both the Food Vac and the Fast Vac machines probably until next month.
Regards,
Doug Care

Doug, I'm not clear if the machines that you sell are ones that you developed or if they are other manufacturers' machines that you are distributing.

Also, I should have asked if there are any plans to add your own jar sealers to your accessory list in the future?

Thanks again, Rita

Rita,
These are machines imported from Italy which seems to be the vacuum packing capitol of the world. I've tried to get them to add the jar sealer to the line but so far, I've had no success.
Thanks,
Doug

Good to hear that Rita and some other moderate to heavy users have had some longevity with their FS units. I bought a heavy duty FS for my parents over the Holiday. They had been looking for awhile and were pretty amazed at the Pro2300 when visiting. Here's the one I picked up for them, since it had high hg and dual pumps which is the ticket for faster operation and cycle times and general better wear:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...&cmCat=SearchResults

Thing that bothers me still though about Food Saver, (don't know about the brands sold by Doug Care, maybe Rita or Kevin can speak to that) is the lack of any ability to service or get parts if they malfunction.

Most people I believe are adapting the food saver accessories for use on other brand sealers much like in Rita's interview with Doug Care. The tubing if it doesn't fit quite right can be adapted using supplies from the local aquarium supply who usually have various size tubing. I didn't have any problem using the Pro2300 though.

My FS (2 or 3 years old) still sucks, but it doesn't automatically switch to seal. I have to manually turn the switch to the 'seal only' mode. About half the time I don't get an effective seal.

Although many of the units identified in this thread look superior, it comes down to a judgment of their service life. Will a $400 sealer last more than 5 times longer (or a $225 unit last 3 times longer) than the $75 FS I can buy at Kohl's? I don't count on any modern kitchen appliance lasting more than 5 years. Especially a product from some company I have never heard of.

I hear you Jeff - went through the same type of thinking. But remember the units mentioned above cannot be compared with a $75 unit. Different quality and feature level overall.

I've heard of Food Saver - that in itself doesn't matter much when they break, since you can't get them fixed.

Many folks say I can by several $75 units over 5 years for the same price, so what's the difference.

Quality, performance, reliability and serviceability, and flexibility and expected longevity.

One of the reasons I spent $200 on a WSM instead of $35 for a Brinkman.

I don't want to be frustrated by something every time I use it.

I have a Kitchen Aide mixer that has lasted well over 5 years.

To each his own - many ways to skin the cat.

Back