Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey Giblet Gravy

TVWBB Super Fan
    The giblet gravy turned out great... I did not have as much fat and drippings from the turkey that I expected...Probably a half a cup or less...there was plenty to brown the flour...

Everybody thought it was wonderful and I thought it was pretty good too... Certainly acceptable for my first try... I thought the wine added a great taste to the gravy...I would definitely use it again...

I very much appreciate all the advice and recipes... Thanks again for your help ...By the way the turkey turnout very good also...

bugg grateful for the help
    Bill

TVWBB Super Fan
    Michael and Ron ... For my Christmas gravy I'm taking your advice and roasting the vegetables in a black skillet before putting them in my stockpot... I'm deglazing the skillet with chicken broth and will poured that mixture in the pot... I absolutely think you're right ... Thank you for the suggestion...

bugg smoking turkey for Christmas
    Bill

TVWBB Pro
    Chris just wanted to post up and say thanks for the gravy recipe. I have never made homemade gravy and this was pretty simple. Worked out very well and I'm glad I tried it. Thank you. Vince

Here is a link to my cook. Vince

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?423...key-with-pic-s
    WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN 18"/SMOKEY JOE/ VERY OLD 22.5" CHARCOAL GRILL
    /5 BURNER STAINLESS KENMORE GAS GRILL

I'm planning my first time brined, first time smoked turkey using the high heat method. Any thoughts on roasting the turkey parts and veggies along side the turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Constable View Post
    Please, Please, Please...
    If you make giblet gravy, PLEASE try it with either roasted Turkey parts and Veggies, or, if you dont want to do that, just brown them good in the pot you're going to make the gravy in, it really does make a huge difference in the depth of flavor.
    Not to oversimplify, but it'd be like the difference between sitting down to a plate of beautiful oven roasted Turkey (or chicken) or a plate of Turkey (or chicken) that had been boiled in plain water.
    This Gravy is super simple and tastes LEGIT, it also really saves that last minute PITA of making gravy while everything else is coming out of the oven.

Got an email from Ron R asking, "I can't find any reference on how to handle the giblets after they've been removed from the stock. I'm assuming they get chopped up and added back in at the very end and that there's no additional steps in between."

My reply: "No, the giblets get strained out and discarded with everything else in that straining step. I think they’ve just about given their all to the stock at that point, but there’s no harm in adding the giblets back at the end of the process as you suggest."

After Thanksgiving, Ron said, "When the gravy was finished we elected to chop up the neck meat, heart & half of the gizzard in it. We left out the liver and the other half of gizzard because it would have been too much. Flavor was great and everyone enjoyed it."

So there you have it. Add some of the giblet and neck meat back into the gravy at the end, if desired.

I've been making the 'Mad Max' gravy for several years and that calls for taking the neck, etc and chopping them up for the gravy. Always brown them, and some veg first before adding water to make the stock. I love it, but have never done a 'control' batch without the 'innards' to see if there is a noticeable difference.
    Last edited by JimK; 11-30-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    ; ; ;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12