Father, Sons, and Q'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
More of an observation than a question.

I've read most of your book, but, wound up lending it to a friend before I finished it. One part struck me though, it was a small competition that you had attended where there was a lack of judges and you were corralled into helping out. The guy who won, or at least did surprising well, was a lone competitor "assisted" by his teen-age son. I've often thought about that lone competitor. I don’t know why, but it seemed rather sad. I know, it’s hard to understand or grasp the whole picture from a small essay, but, while the gentleman did well, it seemed that his overall goal, which would be to reconnect, bond, etc..., with his son was ultimately a failure. Being the father of a precocious nine year old, I can easily envision myself in that position in the near future. Bbq is one of those ways I hope to establish some strong bonds with my son that will withstand those difficult teen years. Not only strong bonds, but lasting memories; Mike Mills in his “Peace, Love, Barbecue” speaks fondly of memories of his dad bbq’ing in the backyard. If I could give even a few of those types of memories to my son I could die a happy man.

Do you remember if the guy won with a wsm?

Scott,

I remember the story, but I don't remember the equipment he used.

One of the competition guys in my book compares competition barbecue to playing golf. His ultimate point is that you can bring your family to a bbq competition, but when you golf, you leave them at home.

There is that potential for bonding. I've seen it done successfully so many times. But, as you know many parents are blessed/cursed with children who are more interested in books/sports/video games/rocket science/distant galleries than they are interested in whatever the parents are interested in.

I hope you and your son find common ground around the pit.

Lolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back