Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotisseried Leg of Lamb with Lemon and Butter

My Halal market doesn't seem to do boneless leg of lamb, so I just cooked it on the kettle at high heat. It's pretty impossible to rotis if it's not butterflied, isn't it?

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Not at all.

If bone-in rotis as usual. If you bone it, or buy one already boned, then you can tie it. If you wish, the butterflied lamb can be marinated as is, then rolled and tied or, if desired, additonally seasoned (or even stuffed) before rolling and tieing. Use kitchen twine and tie at 2-inch intervals, just tight enough to keep the meat together.
    Kevin

TVWBB All-Star
    Put a version of this together tonight. Rubbed both sides of the leg with olive oil. Then covered with salt, white pepper, garlic, and oregano. Squeezed one and a half lemons over and let sit in fridge for five hours. Rotiss to med in the center. Didn't baste. Was excellent with a rice pilaf!

Clark

Closed Account
    Since I'm accessing it again, tiime that this recipe came back up for reconsideration. It's wonderful, and tomorrow we're having two legs done this style. Plus I also have a baby lamb (local) butchered out at 18 lbs, including the head, liver, lungs and heart, for fricasseeing with tempered egg sauce (arne avgolemono).

Years ago here I mentioned stuffing stove gasket rope around the rotisserie insert and sealing it off with stove cement so I could control temps top and bottom. I did it while acknowledging that since the cement was not waterproof, I'd likely have to do it again down the line. Well, it's still in place, hasn't degraded, gets wet and is stored outside. Virtue is that since air now only passes through controllable vents, I'm able to dial in the temp I want almost as well as I can with the WSM. Just a reminder if you want the same control.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    I took your advice back then. Mine is still holding too.

I'm guessing your lamb came out superbly.
    Kevin

Closed Account
    Hi, Kevin. Yes, the lamb was superb. The variations I play on the original process are possible with the modified ring and the controlled heat it provides. I stuff the lamb inside with an oregano/butter/evo/garlic/salt/lemon zest sorta paste and don't do any basting. The lamb becomes self-basting. Dial in about 375 and let 'er rip for about 2.5 hours.

The lemon I add after it's sliced, abundantly, with liberal kosher salt. That takes care of that. But you can't add garlic after the fact, so I stud it up good subcutaneously with garlic slivers. Hard to overdo it.

A leg is easily boned and tied in a roll, but if you buy one already boned inside elastic netting (as per Costco), don't remove the netting altogether or you can't get it back on without a specialty sleeve. If you peel the netting back half-way from the hock end, you can work the paste throughout the interior and then pull the sock back over the meat.

TVWBB All-Star
    So I pulled this up after accessing the originally posted Raichlin recipe on the net. Figured that whatever was modified here would work better, and yes, Greek olive oil and Herbs de Provence suit my taste better. A question on the netting method, you can rotisserie the lamb with the netting in place? I was also wondering if the basting liquid could be used for a short marinade as well. Would that work?
    Jane

...and what do YOU smoke?

Weber Mastertouch 22", Weber Performer (Stainless) Touch 'N Go, WSM, Weber Genesis Silver A, Smokey Joe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Yes to both.
    Kevin

TVWBB All-Star
    So I am not trimming fat, tendons on the inside of the lamb, just applying the seasonings to the inside? I don't mind a little fat, but I've never done this method, always cut up for kebabs or for curry, and have always trimmed well.
    Jane

...and what do YOU smoke?

Weber Mastertouch 22", Weber Performer (Stainless) Touch 'N Go, WSM, Weber Genesis Silver A, Smokey Joe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    No. Interior trimming is not necessary.
    Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast