powder coating

BobPi

Hi,
New to the forum, lots of great info.

I have a Genesis 1000 LX in red. It's been a real trooper for the last 15 yrs or so. Now it's time to overhaul.

I'd like to paint the top, red again, and was wondering if powder coating is adviseable?

I don't know how well it handles that kind of heat.

I'm ordering some parts from Weber, and I'm waiting for the eBay guy's stainless bars to show up...

I'll be back..

Bob

I think most powder coats are only good into the 400's. I don't think it advisable on a gas grill that probably gets closer to 550-600*F.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobPi:
and I'm waiting for the eBay guy's stainless bars to show up...

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got them...love em!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I think most powder coats are only good into the 400's. I don't think it advisable on a gas grill that probably gets closer to 550-600*F.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention getting it to stick to the original porcelain! All the Genesis lids interchange up to the current E, EP and S series models, so maybe finding a "new" old lid might be easier. Or could price a replacement stainless lid from Weber customer service if you wanted to go with that look...

Mike

Check the "For Sale" section - someone has a replacement red-head porcelain part for certain Genesis models - maybe it'll fit yours?

Back