Butter-Smoked Rib-Eye w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Well, I did the butter-smoked rib-eye and I have to say it was the best steak I have ever prepared. (I've only grilled maybe 15 or so rib-eye meals in my lifetime and all on a gasser.) Total cook time was 2 hours.

Started with a 3" thick Alberta 'AAA' beef rib-eye for $27.50. Left it in the paper wrap on the counter for a few hours to bring to room temp. Did not rub oil into it, only sprayed grill with Pam.

Seared both sides over coals, by placing top rack on top on charcoal ring.

Returned steak to package, assembled WSM, added 3 pieces of birch. Got a stable temp around 200F. Put steak on (residual temp of steak was 103). Placed 1/2 cup of frozen salted butter cut from a fresh pound on top of steak, inserted meat probe and closed the lid. The idea of the frozen butter was to keep the steak moist and keep it cool just a little longer.

At half way between 105F and 145F, (in this case about 45 minutes in) I lifted the lid to see if the butter was gone yet.

Target temp was 145F, so I decided to pull at 143F, then foil tightly and rest under a towel for 20 minutes. The only seasoning applied was some kosher salt and coarse ground pepper immediately before foiling.

I was wondering if it was going to be more like a prime rib roast or like a steak. It was all steak but more tender and juicy and with better texture than prime rib roast.

The only thing I will change is the smoke wood. The birch was ok but I'm going to cut back a bit and switch to hickory. Maybe fool around with different seasonings. Give it a shot!

Yuck! That steak looks horrible.

First off, everyone knows that dry aged AAA Calgary Beef is just barely above road kill.

Secondly, the fat content in that steak is enough to make a tri-athlete keel over from clogged arteries.

Lastly, I think for the good of Canada, you should ship that sorry looking steak to:

Spyro Ananiades
PO Box 5370
Pasadena, Ca 91106

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spyro Ananiades:
Yuck! That steak looks horrible.

First off, everyone knows that dry aged AAA Calgary Beef is just barely above road kill.

Secondly, the fat content in that steak is enough to make a tri-athlete keel over from clogged arteries.

Lastly, I think for the good of Canada, you should ship that sorry looking steak to:

Spyro Ananiades
PO Box 5370
Pasadena, Ca 91106 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Spyro, I'm so sorry to have offended you with the details and images of a steak guaranteed to make you flunk your next cholesterol test. I promise not do so again!

Seriously, hope I didn't sound braggy, I was just super excited about it.

Shawn

Couple of other points come to mind:

I have only recently begun eating steak at medium rare. All previous gasser rib-eye cooks were to the medium-wellish target (little pink). This certainly affected my comparison.

Quite recently I ordered medium-rare prime rib roast at a beef specialty restaurant. It was good but my medium-wellish family nearly left the table at the sight of my food! Nehow, that was the basis for the prime rib roast comments.

If the hickory doesn't work I will remove smoke wood all together. Not sure what to call it then but for sure it's a great way to cook a rib-eye.

Finally, at nearly 2 pounds it was a lot of meat. With a baked potatoe, garlic toast, salad and steamed veggies I could see sharing this between 2-4 people. I guess I'd rather see the whole thing go and if anything leave them wanting a little more than the idea of reheating this beauty.

Shawn, I have to hand it to you, that steak looks outstanding. The closest thing I ever did to smoking a steak was in a huge pit at a family reunion that we dug into the ground and fired with oak & hickory logs, those steaks were the juiciest I ever had, but don't look nearly this good. Will have to try ASAP. One question, how long did you sear them? I usually go about 30 seconds per side. Great work man.

Omigosh Shawn, that is BEAUTIFUL!

Steaks love oak---try that next time! If you have enough, just burn the oak chunks and skip the charcoal altogether.

I love your generous use of butter---wow!

I definitely would like to try something like this if I can ever find a steak that thick around here...!

Way to go, and thanks for the pics!

On edit: hey, how much coal did you use for this 2 hour cook and what temps did you cook it at?

Fantastic work there Shawn. I will defintily have to try that one of these days, although our ability to get any decent meat here is a bit limited. Angus is probably the closest we can get to your AAA Alberta (and certainly nothing to scoff at).

Well done mate. Or Medium-rare I should say
icon_wink.gif

Shawn,
Nothin better than good ol AAA Alberta beef
except some good ol AAA Canadian Beer.
I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks, might just have to give it a try this weekend.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisnole88:
... how long did you sear them? ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The coals weren't as hot as I was expecting so it was nearly 2 minutes per side, I probably could have got a better sear off the gasser.

I was worried about being able to keep the cook temp down around 200F so I thought to use leftover coals. Next time I won't use leftover charcoal, maybe I'll have better searing heat that way thought it might be a little more work to keep the pit temp down for smoking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
... hey, how much coal did you use for this 2 hour cook and what temps did you cook it at? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 full chimney of lit leftover coals. I strove for a pit temp of 200F. Actual range was 189F-203F.

Thanks for the Oak tip Susan, I will give that a go.

Shawn...looks good! I did 2" porters on the Silver B last night. Bad results as I was S-Faced during the grill so I overdid them....SAD!!

Note to self: Try not to get so S-Faced next time I spend $52.00 on prime beef!!
icon_frown.gif

Greg,

It's my turn tooday!!!
Being forced to go on a boat cruise on lake
Ontario (Toronto harbour) I have already started
a conversation with Captian Morgan!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back