Wheels on WSM?

David

TVWBB Pro
I just got the 22.5 WSM and since I bought it online, without ever seeing one, I realized it is bigger and harder to move than I thought. So, does anyone outfit this baby with wheels on the bottom of each leg?

If you head down to the WSM Modifications forum and search "wheels" you'll find that a lot of WSM owners have done that, and you'll see how it can be done.

There's a lot of great ideas in the mods forum. You might also look into installing handles, they can be really useful for hauling these big boys around.

I've installed wheels on both my WSMs
DSCN3673.JPG

DSCN3656.JPG

And my Kettle
DSCN3117.JPG

They make life simpler and I highly recommend the mod.

Originally posted by Lawrence M.:
Love the mastertouch setup, Mac!
Thanks, I bought that Kettle new in '86 as a OTS and modified to it's current status as a "MT".

To Mac:

Does the side attachment/tray on the WSM carry much weight as it seems that the way center of the unit is that it could easily tilt the body, or is the support enough to keep it steady. I really like it and would consider adding something like that.

Also, how do you tilt the unit to move it, with the center section movable.

Originally posted by David:
To Mac:

Does the side attachment/tray on the WSM carry much weight as it seems that the way center of the unit is that it could easily tilt the body, or is the support enough to keep it steady. I really like it and would consider adding something like that.

Also, how do you tilt the unit to move it, with the center section movable.

Actually Dave, It was more tippy when it was mounted on the lip. Also if I wasn't careful it would come loose when I lifted the lid.
The way it's mounted now drops the center of gravity and makes it steadier and allows for more weight. So far, so good.

Back