Green Pork Chili

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I found this recipe on the BBQ Forum, but it's since disappeared over there; I think they lost their archives for the day it was posted. I've made some changes to the directions for clarity, and added non crock pot directions. It's a great use for some leftover pulled pork!

Credits: Original recipie posted by anita on September 06, 2001 on the BBQ forum.

Green Pork Chili
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>1 tbs olive oil
<LI>3 small garlic cloves, chopped
<LI>1 onion finely chopped
<LI>1 pound smoked pork, chopped
<LI>4 tbs flour
<LI>4 tbs cornstarch
<LI>0.5 cup water
<LI>1 pound roasted green chilis (canned or freshly roasted; original recipe called for 2lbs)
<LI>2 tbs chopped jalapenos
<LI>1 tsp cumin
<LI>pinch salt
<LI>pinch pepper
<LI>3 cups chicken broth
<LI>1 bottle dark beer

[/list]

DirectionsCrock pot directions:
Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add smoked pork, and mix until well heated. Put in crock pot. In a small bowl, make thickener with flour, cornstarch and water. Add to crock pot with all other ingredients. Bring to a boil using the high temp setting on your crock pot, then simmer on low for 4 to 6 hours. Serve with warm flour tortillas.

Non crock pot directions: Do the same things listed above, but:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Do everthing in a large dutch oven or pot
<LI>Skip thickener
<LI>Bring to boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 2 to 3 hours.

[/list]

When we made this recipie this week, we did the crock pot version, and added a 4oz can of chopped jalapenos instead of the 2 tbs. Whoo! Hot! But quite good. Just don't forget the tortillas!

Heating store bought flour tortillasI think I got this from Rick Bayless on Mexico, one plate at a time.
Take a package of flour tortillas, remove from the packaging, and put on a plate. Cover with a damp paper towel, and put in the microwave for one minute.
Enjoy.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Michael Vrobel (edited 09-21-2001).]

Hi Mike --

Recipe sounds great. I am by no means a cook, but I am having a little problem with one of the ingredients you listed.

You have "2 pounds roasted green chilis...".
Is that correct? Sounds a little iffy to me.

------------------
Sespe Pete

I had the same thought until I weighed a Poblano pepper. It would only take 4 of those and I'll bet they would cook down quite a bit after several hours.

You could also use some Anaheim's which are not hot....you get the nice mellow chile flavor.

I was hoping Michael would answer tonight...we are going camping tomorrow and I cook. I have 2 pounds of leftover pulled-pork and this recipe would have been nice to try.

I instead went with my signature one-pot Jambalaya and will use the pork in place of Andouille sausage.

Stogie

Apologies to everyone with questions - I left on vacation about an hour after I posted this, and I just got back...

As to the amount of chilis, I used 4 - 4oz cans of roasted green chili peppers. I thought that would be 2 pounds, but I just checked a conversion table while I was writing this. Since 16oz = 1 LB, it looks like I only used 1 pound of roasted green peppers, not two pounds like the recipe calls for. I was pretty pleased with the way the recipe turned out (as I mentioned above), so I would say you can definitely cut back to 1 pound if you want to.

Also, you can use so many green chili peppers because they don't have much heat, just flavor. I think the anaheim peppers kevin mentions above are the type used in the 'green chili pepper' cans I got, but I'm not as up on my chili peppers as I should be. Anaheim peppers would definitely work, if you roasted them first...

Mike

Back