Making smoke stock (homemade liquid smoke, sort of)

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
Here's how I made my own, natural liquid smoke. But it is better than liquid smoke. Because it is my own. And it is natural. And it comes from my own smoked meat. And I like it better. so there.
icon_smile.gif

I first got onto this idea a while ago when folks said mentioned they simmered some of the smoked meat in with their bbq sauce to infuse it with more smoke flavor.

I make a lot of stock at home... and also make demi glace with about half of the stock. I got to thinking... what if I did that with smoked meat, and could reduce it to a thick consistency . I could use it like some folks do like liquid smoke, adding it to sauces to give it a big smoky boost...

So, I tried it lately. I used the trimmings from two spare ribs racks that I had cut into KC style. I smoked them for about 5 hours (along with the ribs, which I ate) with hickory.

Basically, with those smoked trimmings and using the normal method of making stock, then reducing to a thick, almost syrup consistency, I came up wiht a demi-glace with a very distinct smoke flavor. I now use it in any place that heathens use liquid smoke. It gives sauces an immediate smoke boost and kick. It's really cool. Plus, it is easy to divide up and freeze in tablespoon portions, so its always around when I need it. I posted the recipe here .

It is time intensive, but totally worth it. Anyone ever tried anything like this before?

Sounds good. I often throw some chopped up leftover brisket into my chilli for that nice smoky flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scot Cummins:
Saw AB make liquid smoke at home using a chiminea, but I like the idea of making use of your trimmings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be real careful about trying to make liquid smoke at home. The destructive distillation of wood produces methanol and a host of other toxic substances. You would need a way to completely separate out each component and any mistakes could have very bad consequences.

Back