EMERGENCY BRISKET QUESTION: PLEASE ANSWER ASAP!

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
Ok...I have a brisket on. It just hit 165. I foiled it, and put in my cup of beef broth. Reading some another thread by Andy Erickson, he mentioned he cooked his until about 198, and that it should be probe tender.

I used two-tined lifters (used for turkeys) to lift my brisket so I could put foil down on the grill. When I inserted the tines of the lifters, they slipped through like a hot knife through butter.

This is a USDA PRIME grade brisket. It has tons of marbling. Do I need to take any different precautions on this? I don't want to overcook it. Is it absolutely necessary to take this to 195?

C'mon guys! Wake up! It's after 6:30 AM everywhere on the North American continent! Where'd Ray go? I know you were on here earlier! I saw you! LOL

So it is that tender at 165? Are you sure your therm is accurate? Not 100% on the prime cut but if it is that tender its done. I go by tender over temp on all Q. That said I haven't seen them tender at that low of a temp, usually 185+. Temps in meat in foil are very false though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
So it is that tender at 165? Are you sure your therm is accurate? Not 100% on the prime cut but if it is that tender its done. I go by tender over temp on all Q. That said I haven't seen them tender at that low of a temp, usually 185+. Temps in meat in foil are very false though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's at 182 now. I'm going to pull it at 185. I just poked it again, and the probe slides in and out like a hot knife through butter regardless of where it's inserted.

If your not serving until later be sure to tent for 10 or so min before you wrap in foil and towels or it will keep cooking! Hope it turns out good for ya!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
If your not serving until later be sure to tent for 10 or so min before you wrap in foil and towels or it will keep cooking! Hope it turns out good for ya! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rats! I foiled it right up for about, 20 min. I just took the foil back off to tent. I'll be carving this up to serve as soon as it's rested for 90 min.

I also just made a double batch of the famed No. 5 sauce with drippings....and OMG. I'm going to make as much of this as I have drippings. RIDICULOUSLY good.

Back