California wood

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Here in cental California, we have an abundance of Almond and Walnut wood. No one on here ever really talks about these types of wood for smoking. Is this due to the fact that majority of these types of wood are located only in California (and there are not many Calfornia subscribers on this discussion board), or do these woods produce smoke that makes food inedible? Thanking you in advance for all the responses.

Hey Erik

I'm from California (san diego) too and have a few friend's from where you are. There is a place in san diego where I go to get wood. You can check here. Almond seems to be okay with fish, poultry, and pork.

I think it's mostly because many woods there are non-standard as far as much of the rest of the country is concerned.

Almond wood is a very good wood for smoking with. Walnut can be a little bitter, black walnut especially.

Other woods easier to find in Calif that are good: citrus (all kinds), stone fruit (peach, nectarine, apricot), olive, grapevine (especially for lamb).

Red Oak is excellent for Beef and good in moderation on Pork. If your ever in Buelton the Hitching Post made famous in Sideways does a nice job. The Monday bar special hamburger made from Prime grade steaks is the best hamburger I've eaten in the last four decades. It is cooked on a Santa Maria style grill over a Red Oak fire. The grill is viewable from the main dining room. They sell an almost white rub the only none white item is Celery seeds.

THanks for the link Ariel. Kruger, what kind of flavor does the citrus and stone fruit smoke add to the meat?

I haven't used most of the woods that Kevin mentioned but fruit wood usually imparts a sweet taste. In my experience around here with mainly cherry, apple, and maple you don't really pick up the fruit flavor unless you use it before it is dry.

I cut some maple a couple of years ago and used some about 2 weeks after I cut it. Some of the ribs tasted like I poured maple syrup over them. MMMMMMM they were good. I haven't been able to do it again. That is what makes me think it was because it was still green.

Best thing to do is try it and report back your results to make all of our mouths water.
icon_wink.gif

Jeff, that's very interesting. I've been under the impression that when wood is green, it's a big no no for smoking. I thought wood had to be seasoned in order to use it for smoking. I learn something new everyday. That maple story sure sounds delicious. In my last smoke, I used seasoned apple and cherry wood and it emitted no fruit or sweet flavor to the meat. I might try some green cherry wood in my next smoke. Thanks.

Back