Low and Slow but not on the WSM

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I tried a new “Low and Slow” recipe the other day that I bet not many of you have done. I started my Saturday morning like many Saturday mornings-cooking bacon and hash-browns on the Gasser. While the last of the hash-browns were cooking on the grill I took off my Weber oven mitt, placed it on the stainless steal side table and sat down at the table to enjoy my breakfast. My attention soon turned to the view outside my sliding glass door and the strange smoke coming from the side of the grill. While investigating the smoke I discovered the oven mitt had caught fire. I had inadvertently laid it up against the grill hood.
icon_redface.gif

Using my tongs I removed it from the side table and threw it on the weeds that have replaced my back lawn and calmly returned to my breakfast. Several hours later it was still smoldering and slowly turning to ash. I tried to pick it up but it just disintegrated. Oh well, time for a new mitt. The funny thing is that once I threw it on the lawn (weeds) it never flamed again, just a nice “Low and Slow” cook for several hours to the very end.

Back