Pork Butt...sauce/no sauce your favorite ??

Tom Stratton

TVWBB Member
Think I'll pick the brains here a little more ..... ideas on sauce and pulled pork:
Sauce as you pull it?
Let everyone sauce as they eat it?
Do both?

Your favorite sauce.....I'm open to ideas

I'll have a 4-5 people over to the house Monday night for pulled pork sandwiches. Got an idea here on serving two pans with different options

Tom, I have done the same thing as you are thinking. I normally setup 3 different pans. One plain with no sauce, one with a sweet sauce, and one with a vinegar sauce. And I leave bottles of the sauce setting handy for everyone. That way each person can get what they want and apply the amount of sauce they want. Be sure to label each pan as to what is in it.

Randy

I prefer to not put any sauce in my pulled pork until it is on my sandwich. I like to serve several sauce options and let people choose for themselves.

If I am making sauces, I personnally like a good Georgia/South Carolina mustard sauce. The sauce I get most positive comments on is a Tenessee whiskey sauce. It is also my wife's favorite, so as you might imagine, it gets made a lot. I just made the Rasberry Chipotle sauce that Keri posted here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m...550007252#8550007252

I haven't really tried it on pork yet, but there is some pulled pork that is going to be eaten tonight with that sauce..
icon_wink.gif

If I am buying sauces from the store, my current favorite is the Sticky Fingers mustard sauce. Pretty good stuff. I usually buy a KC style red as well (people are used to this). I kind of like Sweet Baby Ray's.

-Matt

I supplied pulled pork for nearly 100 this summer and set up as Matt did, several sauces on the side, and this worked out great. Randy's response would be very convienient though, especially with a large gathering. Have fun!
icon_smile.gif

Ditto to it all!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
I prefer to not put any sauce in my pulled pork until it is on my sandwich. I like to serve several sauce options and let people choose for themselves.

If I am making sauces, I personnally like a good Georgia/South Carolina mustard sauce. The sauce I get most positive comments on is a Tenessee whiskey sauce. It is also my wife's favorite, so as you might imagine, it gets made a lot. I just made the Rasberry Chipotle sauce that Keri posted here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m...550007252#8550007252

I haven't really tried it on pork yet, but there is some pulled pork that is going to be eaten tonight with that sauce..
icon_wink.gif

If I am buying sauces from the store, my current favorite is the Sticky Fingers mustard sauce. Pretty good stuff. I usually buy a KC style red as well (people are used to this). I kind of like Sweet Baby Ray's.

-Matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made two pork butts that I smoked for 10 hours, and shredded prior to taking it to a big party at a friends house. They were two large tupperware containers, one with no sauce, on with a simple quick sauce I made up from collecting the juices in the foil ( from the last hour wrapped ) and mixed in a bit of good ol' Bulls Eye. Most of the people at the party went for the unsauced version, and just put what they wanted on it.

There was little fanfare over the meat to be honest. There wasn't much presentation, it sat there next to about 30 other dishes others had brought.

After about 4 hours, there wasn't much left, which made me feel good. But the star of the party was the Sweet and smokey beans from our Guru here on this site. I made a triple batch in a 9.5 quart Le Crueset dutch oven. I had about 2 servings left clinging to the sides of the pot when I left.

She really hit on gold there with that recipe. I have since tried it with berry filling, and it was even better.

Since I am just and average cook, I tend to rely on a great sauce to make our my meals memorable for our guest.

I like to allow guests to pick their own sauce type and pour on their meat/sandwhich directly. I like very hot sauces (like a buck creek habanero boooyah), so our guest would not like my cooking very much.

I also will offer some sweet sauces (Three Little Pigs Championship Sauce) or mesquite sauces as well.

Offer something sweet, somehing mesquite, and something with some heat and people will choose what they like.

After I pull, and I usually don't pull at the last minute because I don't like people watching me pick through my butts, I like to add a little of Steve Petrone's #5 Sauce. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m...870053653#2870053653

It's not visually noticeable, adds a nice understated tang, compliments the pork, and you can still add more of another sauce with your sandwich or whatever. It even makes the pork taste better the next day (IMHO). It's also uncomplicated and easy and quick to make.

T.

Hi Tom
I agree with the majority, that putting the sauce on when it is ready to be eatin is the best. It gives the person a choice of which sauce and how much and some eat it without sauce at all and I enjoy that occasionally as well. Of all the BBQ joints I have been to, they all served the pulled pork with no sauce and have the sauce choices on the table.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back