Grab a cold one, a sweater and chair... we`re smoking pork shoulder tonight!

Ernest Buckley

TVWBB Fan
Hello Fellow WSMers!

Its 8p NY time and I`m getting psyched for my all night smoke for Sundays Fathers Day BBQ. The family is excited. My brother in law just called me to see how the progress was going and to discuss last minute menu additions.

Right now the sun is going down, theres a gentle breeze in the air and its 75 degrees, going down to about 67, a beautiful night for a smoke so pull up a chair, grab a beer in the cooler and lets chat or feel free to just sit there and enjoy the smoke!

Great narrative! Now, all we need is pics!!
icon_wink.gif
And, of course, some more dialog..

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well fill up the charcoal ring, put a couple of handfuls of brix in the chimney and get the WSM going. By 11 PM it should be well stabilized and holding temp - and you should have had enuff brew that you are also well stabilized
icon_wink.gif

Have a great time - one question - if you start your all night smoke now, won't the meat be ready on SATURDAY?? Or is this just the day before practice run. I'm from Brooklyn - I know you gotta practice the beer drinking so you get it right. <grin>

I just got done putting three butts on, and popped open my first cold one. However the sweater is staying in the closet. It's 90 degrees here, and if I'm lucky it'll get down to 83 tonight.

Nice!!! It's 101 here, took the day off to start a cook for a party yesterday, just pulled 18 lbs of pork butt off the WSM got another 18 to pull off in about 30 minutes, been kicking back the Miller Lites since last night.

Ed C. and I will be doing 12 rack of ribs tomorrow and a mess of chicken. Wishing you a great cook! Cheers . . .

No practice run here. I have to work tomorrow evening into Sunday morning so my smoking has to be done tonight into Saturday afternoon. I`m also putting on 5 racks of baby backs around 7a tomorrow. I may smoke some chicken tomorrow as well just to see how it comes out.

My preferred beer during the Summer is a Boston Lager, (summer ale) or a Stella Artois.

Speaking of which, I need another... please pass one down.
icon_biggrin.gif

A sweater?! Like Larry said, it's 100 here and humid too (a rarity...we almost always have dry heat). I WISH I would have to wear a sweater!
icon_biggrin.gif
Have fun with the cook!

My 3 butts are on now to rest and pull mid-morning tomorrow, I'll have to reheat for Sunday, but I've always had good luck with that. The WSM came up to 225, and it'll sit there all night.
Sunday morning I'll fire up 2 OTS kettles and do 3 chicken halves in each one (indirect)to go with the Pulled Pork, as well as some fresh jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and dusted with pork rub for appetizers. I always do chicken on the kettle because I can get beautiful skin and texture, as soon as a leg bone pulls right out it's ready!
EDIT: Oh yeah, the beer; for me tonight it's what I've got on hand, some Bud Select with a mix of Shiner Bohemian Black Lager (heaven in a bottle).

Well, not much conversation about the cooks here. My pork is off, pulled, and smelling wonderful. My wife reserved about a pound for pork tacos (no complaints from me). After we get 'tired' of sandwiches with sauce and coleslaw, we've been heating some of the pork in a pan with adobo seasoning and making crispy pork tacos. They are incredible!
So, how did everyone's cook turn out?

Well Gents... the pork shoulder is now pulled pork. I follow a recipe in one of the Weber books but I created my own sauce which I`m pretty happy with. Taste test went well this evening. I also smoked 3 baby backs this morning and I finally nailed it! My new Tel-Tru BQ300 really helped out. Tomorrow I`m smoking another 5 racks before the family comes over. This is my first fathers day that we`re hosting. I`m fortunate to still have my dad around, my brother in laws dads both passed so its bitter sweet. We`ll make the best of it and the kids running around, making noise and splashing in the pool always helps out. I would love to post some pix but I`m totally confused with all that mumble jumble, however I can maintain and build my own site (go figure), so I`ll post some photos up there. Just click on the BBQ link on the home page.

my website: www.ernestbuckley.com

Enjoy your Fathers Day.
EB

i'll be putting a butt on in an hour or so, here in Jersey. Let it minion over night with some cherry for smoke and we'll have some good father's day eats while we watch tiger win the us open tomorrow afternoon!

just finished watching the Open... Tiger is amazing... see that last shot! His drives are incredible but the putter skills... wow! And the guys knee is screaming... history in the making.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
just finished watching the Open... Tiger is amazing... see that last shot! His drives are incredible but the putter skills... wow! And the guys knee is screaming... history in the making. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, The last 5 holes he was using a driver for a cane. His knee was killing him but he kept on going. That last shot was just amazing. He just stood there and did a small fist pump, the knee wouldn't allow him to do his usual celebration. Can't wait to see what happens on the final 18.
icon_cool.gif

Well Folks... everyone was happy with the pulled pork and the baby backs. I did 8 racks and experimented with two of them... always interesting but no keepers. However I did make the other 6 racks with my own rub and sauce that everyone loves so everyone was pleased and with the additional side dishes everyone made, we ate like Kings.

Now I`m recovering and watching the playoff round of the US Open.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Payne:
+That choice of beer sounds unamerican. Whatever happened to miller and budweiser? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL. You post is unamerican. Please don't forget that we are free to choose here. In fact, I'm drinking a Labatt Blue right now
icon_wink.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
Well Folks... everyone was happy with the pulled pork and the baby backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who cares? Who won the Open?
Just kidding with you EB. Glad all turned out well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Payne:
+That choice of beer sounds unamerican. Whatever happened to miller and budweiser? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Miller Brewing Company is owned by SAB Miller, a South African company.....

Nice choice of beers Scott, and for those of you that have never had a Stella Artois you don't know what your missing. However, it's not readily available in this area, so I too drink Labatt Blue like Bill. Great beer!

Back