Leberkase--German Meatloaf

Mark Herrington

Hey all I get a newsleter from this sitehttp://www.kitchenproject.com/german/-monthly. I have found a German meatloaf Recipe that I think would be great on the WSM. It is called http://www.kitchenproject.com/...leberkaese/index.htm. with either Apple or Cherry Wood, you smoke to 165 internal. I'm gonna try it Saturday
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

---

Leberkaese is a meatloaf with a really fine texture. You could compare it to maybe the texture of bologna or a frankfurter only the flavor is much different. This is popular in many parts of Germany as well as in Austria mostly as a breakfast and lunch meal. It is cut hot right out of the oven and enjoyed with a medium or spicy mustard. For breakfast it is thinly sliced and served with a platter of smoked sausage. In Bavaria a thumbs width slice is served on a roll and eaten much like we would a hamburger.

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs of meat mix
For this project I used;
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground veal
For a richer blend use for the pork neck meat. This is very flavorful. Also you can substitute 1/4 lb. bacon or pork fat for some of the veal.

If you can’t find the veal then I substitute pork.

4 oz. of shaved ice about 1 cup

Seasonings:
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon “Pink Curing Salt” *
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic

*If you don't have the pink curing salt you can find curing salt mixes in hardware stores that sell hunting and fishing supplies. You can omit the pink curing salt , but it will be a gray color instead of the pink.

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the dry spices, salt and pepper in a bowl.
I chopped the onion fairly well even thought it is going in the food processor.
I used grated ginger and a little lemon zest.

Put ice cubes in a food processor and grind fine, reserve 1 cup and keep in freezer till ready to use.

Place half of the meat, spice mix and ice in the food processor and grind till very smooth.

This takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Place in a bowl and grind the other half. Add back the first half and add the onion, garlic, lemon and ginger and blend till smooth.

Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray or grease it. Add the mix and bake for 60 to 90 minutes, till 165 degrees. (To make cross hatch pattern in the meat before baking, I used the back of a spoon and dipped it in water each line, so the meat wouldn't stick.)

For added protection I baked it in a pan of water. I am not sure that it is really necessary. It will be very firm and will have pulled away from the sides of the loaf pan.

Cool slightly and remove from pan. Serve a finger thick slices, with fried potatoes or potato salad, spicy German mustard, and rye bread or pretzel. You can also serve a nice thick slice on a brötchen or a good bread roll.

Note from Moderator: Added recipe text in case link goes dead someday.

As a former German citizen who grew up on Leberkaese at least weekly, I will have to nix the smoking idea. It just wouldn't taste right - sorry.

As a former German citizen who grew up on Leberkaese at least weekly, I will have to nix the smoking idea. It just wouldn't taste right - sorry.

Man, I LOVE Leberkase. I lived in Germany for 9 years...I don't know if I'd like it smoked either...but I'm willing to try.

Mark: Thanks for the link. I'll have to take a look.

Back