Chicken Wings

G

Hi All,
I'm very new to all of this and would like to see if antone had a layout for smoking chicken wings, I need soup to nuts :How much fuel what temp to cook at how long to cook all that good stuff , I'm having some people over this weekend and would like to make the wings sorry if the question is very basic I just wanted to get it right my first smoke was ribs and they came out less than desirable..Thanks alot in advance
Jason

Go for high heat, to get the skin crispy. Shoot for 325 to 350 for about an hour. I did it this way on Christmas Eve, but I had the temp around 300 - taste was delicious, but I wished I went higher on the temp, as the skin was a little rubbery on some of the pieces.

Details, I guess one full chimney of fully lit coals, one hickory and one mesquite chunk, empty water pan (foil lined), bottom vents wide open. Cook wings about an hour, then toss with your Buffalo sauce.

Of course. There are many here more than happy to help so ask away.

I agree with John--I like high heat best. I tend to do mine on the kettle because I like 400+ temps but you can do them on the WSM. I'd probably go for two chimneys of lit (or a bit more).

I'm with Kevin, if you have a kettle, do them on that. I have better results that way.
Ribs.....That is my first choice of meals. Many here can help you!
icon_biggrin.gif

I've only done one rib cook, the BRITU recipe on page 1 (slightly modified, of course). The ribs turned out great, except for the high salt content. If I were to use that recipe again, I would cut the salt in half.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John VB:
I've only done one rib cook, the BRITU recipe on page 1 (slightly modified, of course). The ribs turned out great, except for the high salt content. If I were to use that recipe again, I would cut the salt in half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As many times as I have done ribs, I have never tried the BRITU recipe lol. Don't know why, just never have.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jason
This is favorite way to do wings. It's for a grill, but on a WSM, just cook longer (at 300F or above) until done and glaze at the end of the cook. From Weber's recipes:

Chicken Wings with Thai Sweet & Hot Chili Glaze

16 chicken wings, wing tips removed. (I separated the wing sections)

Glaze:
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (Asian food section)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sriracha hot chili-garlic sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

Trim excess skin from the edges of the wings. Lightly brush or spray with the oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a small bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients. Grill the chicken wings over Direct Medium heat until the skin begins to crisp, about 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Brush the wings with the glaze and continue to grill until the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 8 to 10 minutes, turning and brushing with the glaze 2 or 3 times. Serve warm.

Loren

Back