The Ultimate Remote??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've hooked up a small inexpensive Webcam to my internet-connected laptop. The camera focuses on the remote display of my ET-73.

Since my job requires 24-7 response at times, and work is fairly close to home, I can now safely leave the WSM cooking and still monitor the temps if I'm at the office.

Next project is to find voice recognition software that will key on the beeps from the remote when it sets off the alarms. If it can recognize the beeps, it's a simple task from there to fire off an e-mail and/or a page.

Technology and the WSM... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Technology is great when used to address a need, but an annoyance when used simply for its own sake. I humbly suggest a mobile phone with built in browser to be able to monitor your WSM from anywhere with wireless signal.

Dave,

So I can safely assume you are doing your Q over wooden logs in a circle enclosed by rocks? and you start your fire with 2 sticks? (neither of which is a match) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Technology is great! Think BBQ Guru, ET-73, or even the WSM itself. None of those possible without technology.

Jason,

It did address a need, or rather alleviate one. I no longer am tied to the WSM or my remote when BBQing. I have extended the range of my ET-73 considerably. I figure as long as I'm withing 30 minutes or so of my house I can get home in time to address any problems that arise.

Oh, I do have a web-enable phone, and it works with that also.

This discussion sounds like it's going the way the the one with the Guru went when it was first espoused by one member and then denouced by another. That seems to have cooled down. I think it comes down to personal preference and how much you want to elimate from the process, i.e. adding fuel, checking temp, etc. I fall in the category of not wanting the guru and enjoying my level of participation. However, I can see and appreciate the views of some others, and my failure to want to use their "toys" shouldn't be taken as criticism of them. I have a Cookshack and don't like it because all you do is put the meat in and turn it on. I had an off-set and didn't like it because you had to constantly adjust it. I like the WSM just like it is - but, of course with a dome therm, a digital insert meat therm with a display, a chimney to start my coals, a Weber cube to start the fire, neophrene gloves to handle the meat......

Maybe it's all in the eyes of the beholder ?

Paul

Seeing how I work in tech I usually love it. Many of the messages I post are typed on my laptop connected to my wireless home network while I'm sitting on the can at home. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I live in an apartment complex and unpleasantly discovered tonight that my apartment and the commons area is just beyond the ET-73's range. I just recieved my ET-73 tonight and the commons area is the only place where charcoal fires are allowed. Back to the drawing board and low-tech, lid-temp monitoring when my cooker arrives tommorow.

So, tomorrow I must head across the Decatur and Sahara mega-intersection to BBQ's Galore for the cool lid thermometer. Unless you guys have an idea for a high-gain ET-73 transmitter set-up and perhaps a parabolic antenna on the receiver.

Or perhaps an online hookup to the cooker? Chris works for HP. Maybe he can work on this, although the demand may not justify the R&D (grin!).

Jason,
TMI dude! I'm with Tom on that visual /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif .
I think the WSM seems to invite people to make into their vison of the best smoker. I bet the first person to stick a therm in a top vent was scoffed at as a non purist.
I just met a guy who is a local dealer for Trager auger fed Grill/Smokers. I gotta tell ya, it was pretty cool to watch this thing at work. It takes all the work out of keeping a stable temp and adding smoke wood. The only thing that bothered me a little was there was only 1 setting on the dial for smoking. I like the fact I can vary my smoking temp. It smokes at a lower temp than a WSM from what I understand. The one I looked at could do alot of ribs at once (I wish there was a yummmmmmmm graemlin).

Aww, I was just being a smartass. Sometimes I can't help myself as I sit with my laptop posting via wireless DSL. Hey Jason, can you pass the paper?

"pass the paper" - sounds like a couple of our members are getting a little tooo friendly ! LOL

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back