Foodsaver - Bags or Rolls?

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
What do you use? When I got my foodsaver it came with some of the quart sized bags and rolls. The bags work really well for freezing a pound of pulled pork or brisket. I'm out of those and have been making my own bags from the smaller rolls. Is there a big price break by doing it this way, or are we talking pennies per bag. Anyone ever figured out how many bags you get from a roll, assuming of course they are the same size? I got the bags and rolls with the foodsaver and haven't priced them separately yet.

Rolls. Cheaper, especially if you find them on sale from time to time.

Yeah it takes a minute or two to make up your bags but I got the bags once and never needed to have anything that would fit just right. There was always too much or too little.

So if I am going to do that I might as well make the roll bags too small or too little. Just as well...

Costco sells a box that contains big rolls and little rolls. I don't remember the numbers, but when I was looking at my options buying the bulk package and making my own bags was by far the best way to go.

Unfortunately for you, if I recall correctly, there isn't a costco north of chicago. I bet Sam's Club sells it too though. Might be worth a phone call.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M.:
Costco sells a box that contains big rolls and little rolls. I don't remember the numbers, but when I was looking at my options buying the bulk package and making my own bags was by far the best way to go.

Unfortunately for you, if I recall correctly, there isn't a costco north of chicago. I bet Sam's Club sells it too though. Might be worth a phone call. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I figured the bags were more expensive. I go to a Costco out here so I'll check it out next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
What do you use? When I got my foodsaver it came with some of the quart sized bags and rolls. The bags work really well for freezing a pound of pulled pork or brisket. I'm out of those and have been making my own bags from the smaller rolls. Is there a big price break by doing it this way, or are we talking pennies per bag. Anyone ever figured out how many bags you get from a roll, assuming of course they are the same size? I got the bags and rolls with the foodsaver and haven't priced them separately yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These generic bags work just fine for me and they're a lot less expensive than the name brand especially if you buy in quantity.

http://www.totalvac.com/accessory/parts/6X10.html

Cash & Carry or Smart & Final also carry Foodsaver bags by the roll.

I find it much easier to custom size the bag I need from the roll versus using several precut bags, because they are too small for that particular task.

I agree with everyone else. Rolls is the way to go. I had bad luck with the 'cheaper' generic brands though so stick with Foodsaver. You can find them in BJ wholesale clubs and Kohl's often has them on sale.

Rolls are the way to go, but bags can be really convenient. I use both. Just don't buy bags or rolls at the department store. The foodsaver/tilia rolls and bags are way overpriced when you do the math (price per bag and price per foot).

Neil R. posts a good source for bulk above. There are other bulk suppliers once you get to looking on line and they are all pretty comparatively priced.

I'm a bag guy cause it's faster. No other reason than that. But I do keep a big supply of both on hand and use them pretty equally. Prob 60/40 with bags being used first.

Back