Genesis Jr.

G

Hello. New member to the forum, my GF and I are restoring what I've learned to be a Genesis Jr. We were in the market to buy a grill and love the convenience of gas. I really wanted something of value that had taste, not another weak grill with plastic all over. We found a Genesis Jr. on CL for $60. Having no idea of the age of the grill, we bought it. I like the red top and wood trays. We've been working away at the restoration and cleaning. I found a nice guy that custom made a set of SS flavorizer bars and we ordered a set of SS grates from Weber. We're replacing some wood and re-staining the set. The burners are in good shape and we're replacing all the fasteners with SS. We're close to $300 including a filled tank budget wise, but the more I read here on this site- it's money well spent. What do you think is an equivalent grill and price for this grill? Does anyone know the difference between the Genesis Jr. and the standard Genesis? I'll be sure to post pics once we get it put back together. It seems like a great, well built design from 20+ years ago.

Here is a link for Weber Replacement parts and the Genesis Jr http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/part/schematic.aspx?inc=P141001

I too had a Red Jr that was very well taken care of by the previous owner, I thought it was a good little grill. I just felt I needed more grill space, and found a 3 burner on CL.
100_1711.jpg

It just seemed like it was designed wrong and the table should be on the left side, but the bottom is better than the ones on the 1000 Genesis and the wire trays.

Nice pic of your Genesis Jr. Mine should look just like that. We have cleaned it inside and out and we're about to re-assemble tomorrow. I ordered a new swing table as this used one was missing it. Do you still own your Jr?

Thanks for the link to Weber. I've already talked with them and their CS is excellent. I've ordered a new SS cooking grate and wire rack that holds the grease tin holder. I'm unsure how the whole swing table works. Weber no longer has the support bar for them. So I guess I'll fab something up. Can't wait to fire it up tomorrow. It is a little one the small side, but it works well for those of us limited on space. Keep the Genesis Jr. replies coming. I searched this forum and didn't find much about the little guys.

Where are you located? I sold the Jr. last summer. The person I got it from had an interesting story behind it, he had bought it new and he took it to Japan and Great Britain with him. He thought it was over twenty years old.

I wouldn't doubt it that it was 20 yrs old. From what I've learned, the Jr. was introduced in '85 until '92.

I live in Walnut Creek, CA. I fired up the newly rebuilt Genesis Jr. this evening and it was great. The rear burner seems to run a little better than the front. I still have the wood to refinish, but so far so good. I'm looking forward to a set of new SS grares. I'm dying to throw my first steak on this bad boy. It's a great size for what I need and a huge step above my old Smokey Joe. Cheers.

I just finished a final coat of polyurethane (yes, I know varnish would have been better) and screwed the wood slats in. It was a challenge. The swing table I just bought from Weber was a different color than the old slats, and I had to replace about 11 of the old slats with new wood. All in all , I would have like the wood more red, like the original color- but I'm happy with it. I still have to resolve why the front burner burns really low compared to the rear burner. Here's a poor pic, the light almost highlighted the Weber ornament.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgq369f_0fdw58jf2

That looks very sharp,and you did a nice job on the woodwork. Hope you get the burner issue resolved. I used Oak for my replacement slats and they are starting to mildew, probably not the best choice for the Pacific Northwest!

Back