Where to measure brisket temp.

Do not measure temp for doneness. Use the probe technique, if a probe into the flat feels like it is going into soft butter the flat is done. The point is another problem depending on what you intend to do with it.

most recommend the probe test. i use the temp as a heads up that has worked for me as i like soft but a bit of a chew and not shredded brisket, i stick my probe in the flat right next to the point. tip should be in the middle of the thickness of the meat. i cook to 195-198 deg. then wrap and rest for at least an hour. works for me.

I use the temp as a guide for when I start to probe the meat. I'll start out with the temp gauge in the flat and when the temp gets to 180 I start testing every 5 degrees. I almost always find it ready by 185. Any more for me and it turns into pot roast. I than cut the flat off and put the temp gauge in the point. I'll start testing the point at 190. Most of the time it will be ready around 195. I don't wrap it. I don't like how it seems to turn the brisket into mush and destroys any bark that you have on it.

Back