Proper way to rehead a Vac and Sealed Frozen meal

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
So I have been using my new FoodSaver a lot lately and enjoying it very much. I will cook a tri tip or some chicken or even a brisket and vac and seal several meal size portions and throw them in the freezer for later enjoyment. My problem is with the warming up process. On my first attempt I put the bag of frozen meat in a boiling pot of water for approximately 20 minutes. The results were not good. The meat tasted reheated and lost its tenderness. I also recall seeing oil in the water making me think that the bag might have leaked while boiling.
I reviewed the FoodSaver DVD and during the reheating instructions the kind lady specifically states to place the bag in a pot of simmering water not to exceed 170 degrees. I tried this on my second attempt and let the bag o' brisket simmer at 170 for approximately 25 minutes. This time the results were tasty and moist but the meat was not warm enough. I guess I should have let it simmer longer but I did not want to overdo it.
My confusion is with the different methods of reheating that I have read here on the board. Do some of you place the bag in boiling water and if so for how long? If simmering how long do you let it go for? Please share your method and results with me.

Steve, I take my water to just under a boil, about 200 (per my thermapen, not doing touch test on this one, LOL); if my product is frozen I leave it in for about 30 min. If thawed I go 20 min. I also put my product in the water while coming to temp.

As Bryan S. wrote the other day when packing large quantities of meat (which it doesn't sound like you are) be sure to pack it in a thin layer vs. say a big ball.

When I reheat using this method it taste great every time. I've done this with ribs, PP, Chicken, Beef Cheek etc. and it works great for me. Hope this helps.

I do this with brisket a lot.Cook a packer then split into 4 or 5 pieces and seal in the foodsaver.I defrost in the refer first. Then get a cast iron pot put the meat in fill with water to no more then a inch from the top. Remove the meat package. Heat the water to a boil.Turn off stick the meat in the boiling water and cover for thirty minutes.Remove cut the package open and enjoy!Doesn't hurt to test with a thermapen.Only needs to be warm.

Back