Weber Summit S-420

Jason Medley

TVWBB Member
Well I found a Weber S-420 on CL. It is a couple yrs old, but the guy said it has not been used because he won it in a sales contest and he has a built-in grill on his patio. He said it has slight hail spots on the top of the lid, but it has not been cooked on. He is asking $1,000, but he will take $800. New they are $1400 or so, but seems like if you look hard enough, you can find them for $1100-$1200 shipped on Internet sites.

My concerns are:
-Can I add a rotisserie to this in the future?
-Seems like the S-420 is not much bigger than the Weber Genesis
-I like to buy and sell Weber grills, so if I ever decide to sell this, not sure if I can make any profit (for now, I plan to use it for my family)
-My wife does not want me to drop the $800 right now, but I would be selling our Weber Genesis Gold B to help offset the cost.

You might want to check with Weber on the rotisserie, since I believe they are built in on the Summits.

Thanks Jon-I believe it is only built in on the Summit S-450 and Summit S-470, that is why I was asking if it can be added on to the S-420.

Well, it seems like we settled in on a $775 price-should be able to pick it up either Friday or Saturday this week-there are a couple very minor hail spots on the top of the lid, otherwise, this Weber Summit S-420 has not been cooked on!! I think that ends up being a pretty good deal, when the new ones are at HD for $1399!!

Jason, with respect to your rotisserie question, here's a link to the model that Weber states fits all the Summit 400 series grills; it didn't seem to get positive reviews, however, at Amazon.

Like you, I've settled on a new Summit S-420 to replace my current 12-year old Holland gasser, and I've managed to find it brand-new, delivered, no tax, for $1197.00 - hoping to take the plunge next month....

Guys, I'm wondering how you're liking your new grills. I bought an S420 last year, and I'e been disappointed with the overall quality. The doors are terribly cheap and flimsy, and though minor, all of the red grill labels have fallen off the knobs. Finally, there are already burn marks on the lid from the heat seeping out of the front, even though the grill in installed on a level surface.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably by a Genesis and find SS grates for it from Ebay... Regardless, I'm curious, especially about the door quality. I can't even get mine level with each other no matter how hard I try.

The S-420 I had did have (I have sold it) a small dent on the outside of one of the doors. They are all riveted in, so really no way to bump out a dent. I noticed the side tables come off really easily with screws and I am sure they did it that way for packaging and cost, but it is really hard to roll across a rough surface (grass) with the side tables on. Better not try to lift it with the side tables on either-I guess I was used to the older style Genesis where you could easily lift using the frame extensions that support the side tables.

Anyone had any really good luck with any cleaner on the heat/burn marks? I have a Genesis S-310 and have the burn marks out the side of the lid on the gray painted part of the shroud and I am not sure what will remove those marks.

Overall, I did like the way the S-420 cooked and I liked the larger grates and the front knobs. I think I am going to try to find an enameled Summit so I don't have to worry about keeping the stainless clean.

Back