High Heat Cooks on WSM

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

As my thread on juicy brisket kicked off the idea of doing a high heat cook on my WSM I had a couple questions.

If I use a overflowing full ring of Kingsford and put a full weber chimney on top how long can I expect to maintain 300-350+ temps on the WSM?

I am assuming leaving all vents full opened and no water in the pan ...

I've done 6 hours before shutting down.

I use a quality lump though.

Yes, leave all vents open.....and you might have to crack open the door too. I turn my door upside down, and wedge it open anywhere from a half inch to a full inch.

I use a split log to keep the door open.

Hi Jason,

I certainly haven't had as much experience as the rest on this board. But I don't think you would have any issues.

Whenever I've needed to do a longer-ish high temp cook, I've always started right out from the get-go with 2 fully lit chimney's. Usually I'll dump 1 fully lit into the charcoal ring, and then measure out and dump another full chimney unlit on top. But, I won't assemble the cooker until all of it has lit up. And I've had that run 325-350 for 4-5 hours no problem and usually don't even need the bottom vents open more than 1/2 for the first 2 hours to hold 350. And I ususally have a good 5 pound coffee can's worth of unburnt charcoal left over. This is using an empty water pan.

If you are real worried about it, I might try filling the charcoal ring 1/4 to 1/3 full, unlit. Lite a full chimney and dump on top. Measure another full chimney and dump on top of that. Let is all light up fully before assembling. You could probably run 350 with that for 2-3 hours with bottom vents 1/3 open I bet. And when you first assemble, your temps will skyrocket!!

Todd

I was hoping to rigg it such that I could do two Butts and one packer brisket and both of them be done or at least above 175 before having to worry about the fuel. If I can get them to 175 I'll just finish in the oven.

I do what Craig does; propping the door open at the bottom is required, for me, more often than not.

I Minion the start, using a bit more lit than a low/slow Minion. I like the slower come-up for smokering development. Not a requirement though.

Jason,

I think your plan is sound and I think you could cook for more than 6 hours at 325. I was giving you another option, start hot and let the temps settle downward. That's worked for me before ok.

Both Kevin and Craig do the same as you are thinking it appears. Minion the start. And you should have no issues with fuel, either way really.

You said, "I use a overflowing full ring of Kingsford and put a full weber chimney on top...", that might be a little troublesome.

For this cook, you could try filling the charcoal ring 3/4 to 4/5 full of unlit. Then light 1/3 of a chimney and dump on top. That will give you a good full almost overflowing charcoal ring to start off with.

Keep your top vent 100% open through the whole cook. Keep all your bottom vents 100% open to start. Prop the door open as Kevin and Craig do from the start. As you temps move up and get close to 300, close door up first, then dial your bottem vents back to hold the temp you want.

I don't think you will run out of fuel in 6 hours.

Todd

FWIW- Jason, I always start with a near full chimney of lit, no water, and a full ring of unlit lump.

Like Kevin, I MM the fuel.

Once the lit has taken hold over the unlit, I assemble the cooker, add the meat, and leave the door off until I get well above 300 (usually around 350).

Once the door goes on, temps will drop some...and then you'll have to play with the temp settling point (usually around 335 or so this time of year) by adjusting the door opening as necessary.

The vents have always stayed wide open except in the summer sun.

When you are done, just shut it down and reuse what is fuel is leftover for your next cook.

Back