Lemon Yellowies

Mark Ritter

TVWBB Member
DSC025051024x615.jpg

DSC025201024x674.jpg

Lemon Yellowies (instead of brownies or blondies)

Zest from 2 lemons (Depending on how deep your lemon love runs, you can use more or less lemon zest.)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 room temperature eggs
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (that's 2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

for the glaze
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Zest from 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9x9 inch pan and line the bottom with parchment.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon zest and granulated sugar. Use your fingertips to rub the lemon zest into the sugar until moist and fragrant; Set aside.
In separate, small bowl, combine the eggs, almond extract, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine; Set aside.
Add the flour, salt, and melted butter to the lemon/sugar mixture. Whisk until well combined. Add the egg mixture and mix until smooth.
Spread the batter into prepared pan.
Bake for approx. 35 - 40 minutes, or until the center is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Cool completely before removing from pan and adding the glaze.

For the glaze: In a medium-size bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Whisk until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled Yellowies. If needed use a small offset spatula to spread it around.

Best served at refrigerator temperature.

I am just finishing my first Limoncello adventure, and it seems that there is a place for some of it here in this recipe. I see a happy Holiday here too with these little unassuming squares.

Hi, Mark, Well the Limencello has been sitting for 6 weeks or so and ready for a serious tasting with friends. If it measures up it will find its way into some deserts, for sure. The initial tasting earlier on was very fine, making the next 6 weeks a little agonizing. I suspect I will be reporting sooner than later.

Well, Mark...I didn't forget. Just too many hobbies, but...the cello is stupendous.....will never go commercial again. Next trick.....to figure how much cello to put in the yellowies recipe and what or how much of to sub with the cello. The cakes may well be lemony enough and not really need any embellishment. we'll see. Dave

Back