Ohio Winter BBQ Season Begins

B. Debo

TVWBB Member
So it snowed about three inches Saturday. Good time to start thawing baby backs, right? After snow blowing a few driveways on Sunday morning I dug out my grills and decided to test out the WSM in the 22 degree cold (sometimes gusty wind). Fired it up minion method style with about 30 lit kingsfords. Six hours later I had the best bb's to date according to my wife, the 3-year-old, and the non-talking but rib-consuming 15-month-old.

I haven't read a lot about cold-weather smokes but it seems my smoker set up and cooked the same as my warm-weather cooks. I had very little vent adjustments during the smoke. I assume more charcoal was consumed but I did not check. Do you other cold-weather dwellers also cook throughout the winter and do you change your style/procedure at all?

B.

While not as consistantly cold here in Jersey as you probably are, it was in the low-mid 30's here on Saturday and I cooked a high brisket. Started up Standard Method and she was still chuggin' at 350° after 5 hours. I did have the door upside down and propped open an inch with my charcoal tongs. Plus - it started snowing (dusting) in the last hour and still had no problems.

Impressive. Here I thought I was supposed to put my WSM away for the winter. I suppose I can thaw out the 36 lbs pork shoulder (4 total) soon!

No way mine's going away. It makes it as far as the screened porch when not in use (sometimes use in the porch if raining).

Plus it can't go too far, smokin' an 8lb prime rib roast on Christmas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Debo:
Do you other cold-weather dwellers also cook throughout the winter and do you change your style/procedure at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine also stays out all winter. Why not? As far as procedure changes are concerned, 3 things come to mind
1) Use of a wind break
2) Probably start with more unlit
3) Probably start with more lit for minion cooks
Other than the above, smoke on and love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
No way mine's going away. It makes it as far as the screened porch when not in use (sometimes use in the porch if raining).

Plus it can't go too far, smokin' an 8lb prime rib roast on Christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine also has a home on the screened in porch, that dosent keep it warm, but it does keep it dry. Also keeps it partially out of the wind.

Saturday night I put on a couple butts (17lbs worth) the temp outside was ~6 degrees. Needless to say I had plenty of layers on. I packed the ring tightly and got a solid 14 hours before adding fuel, to finish the cook at about 16.5 hours. Usually, in warm weather, I can get away with this cook without adding fuel. I like winter because you can leave you meat sit outside until your ready to mess with it, its just one big freezer
icon_smile.gif

Brandon

I use mine year round...somewhere on this site I saw a pic of someone smoking in -20 degree weather! I shoveled a path from the back door to the smoker yesterday....chicken tonight. I find you just need a bit more lit and open the vents a notch or two more, otherwise it holds temp like a champ, perhaps even better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Debo:
So it snowed about three inches Saturday. Good time to start thawing baby backs, right? After snow blowing a few driveways on Sunday morning I dug out my grills and decided to test out the WSM in the 22 degree cold (sometimes gusty wind). Fired it up minion method style with about 30 lit kingsfords. Six hours later I had the best bb's to date according to my wife, the 3-year-old, and the non-talking but rib-consuming 15-month-old.

I haven't read a lot about cold-weather smokes but it seems my smoker set up and cooked the same as my warm-weather cooks. I had very little vent adjustments during the smoke. I assume more charcoal was consumed but I did not check. Do you other cold-weather dwellers also cook throughout the winter and do you change your style/procedure at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cook all winter. We do get some cold temps in SE PA. Low 30's today and all weekend with pretty high winds. I haven't had a problem yet with winter cooks.

Although - I do have a pretty decent built in wind break in that my WSM sits on a screened in porch. I have a BBG Guru jacket which I haven't had to use yet. It's there though if I run into trouble. I'll be cooking the 7 rib prime for Christmas and that's either going on the WSM or the Performer/Rotiss for sure, just like the last several years.

One thing for me though is photos disappear when the cold weather hits. Just can't be bothered. Guess I'm lazy that way.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Oh you folks in OH are such wusses.
icon_razz.gif
You're letting Penn State represent the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl.

Bundle up baby buckeyes, no whining until you go below zero.

Hey Ray,

I have an 8lb Prime Rib I'm doing for Christmas too. I haven't done one on the WSM yet.
Do you follow Chris's examples?
How does it come out on the smoker?
I'm little nervous, b/c it's such and expensive piece of meat.

Comes out GREAT on a smoker!!! I take it to an internal of about 125-130 and rest it in foil for up to an hour. It'll be perfect rare , but warm! Best you ever had! Also, don't waste the money on Prime, go with a standing rib roast (choice). Woodman

It's good to see that I am not the only one who loves to use the WSM during the winter. I have done three smokes this month with avg. temps in the upper 20's. Three slabs o' ribs, two beer can chickens and three large salmon filets, all which turned out great...The WSM performs excellent and the only thing that I changed was the increase in the amount of fuel used... So kudos to those of you who brave the elements in pursuit of the perfect "Q"

Brian
Yorkville, IL
icon_smile.gif

B, I don't put mine away, I cook through the winter ... admittedly less, but I still use it.

One thing I am changing this year, skip the heatsink (no water). Started this summer, It'll help even more in the winter.

Heck, I just bought mine!!! Came in UPS yesterday! I am tired of rolling the mobile out of the garage for small cooks! Looking forward to using it theis Sunday!

I cook all winter long as well. Only adjustments I make are a windbreak(plastic barrel for low temp cooking) and maybe a little more lit to start. The first year I had my WSM I did a turkey for Thanksgiving and the temp was 2 degrees when I started. Held at 350 or so the whole cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
Hey Ray,

I have an 8lb Prime Rib I'm doing for Christmas too. I haven't done one on the WSM yet.
Do you follow Chris's examples?
How does it come out on the smoker?
I'm little nervous, b/c it's such and expensive piece of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't go wrong following any of his methods, recipes, instructions, articles.

You know, as far as the cook itself I pretty much follow the same method. I use a different rub (I use a couple different ones). The rubs he uses are just fine though. I am also thinking of doing a marinaded roast but will save that for when I am doing a choice SR.

I do like to run the fire hot for the first 30 minutes or so. A little longer doesn't matter then slowly choke the fire down to hold temps around 300 to 350. There's no need to "low slow" roast these cuts. If you want to be safe do the high temp (sear) in the indoor oven and just keep the WSM/Kettle the same temp throughout the cook or sear at the end to get it to the finish internal temp you want.

I have done them twice on the kettle, about 5/6 times on the WSM and many more than that on my horizontal, which is gone now.

I would not be afraid of cooking one of these on the WSM or Kettle as long as you are confident about controlling/maintaining temps. But even then as long as you are watching food temps and know when you want to pull you can always work around any problems by pulling it off in an emergency and finishing it in the indoor oven. It will still taste great. Just make sure you don't overcook.

You don't need to use a lot of smokewood IMHO. I like it mild and not over smoked. Otherwise no reason to spend the $$ on USDA Prime.

I've done Choice grade Prime Rib Roast (Prime is a cut as well as a grade in this case). Choice standing rib roasts are just fine. I enjoy them as well.

I spring for USDA Prime for the Holidays or a special occasion. It is special in my view (flavor). My butcher will get me either grade.

Now that my horizontal is gone and I am using the kettle and WSM, I prefer the WSM for maximum control for the prime rib. This Christmas though I am really considering doing one on the rotisserie. Pretty confident that the EZ-Que will be able to handle the weight of a 7 rib. If you do cook on a kettle you will have to turn it about every 30 minutes to cook evenly. ON the WSM I don't rotate it much at all maybe once or twice.

I have also split a 7 rib in two for faster cook times and more uniformity of "doneness" level or if I want to make one roast medium rare and one that is done to rare or medium. I personally feel that cooking beyond medium rare is a waster for a USDA prime. You can always finish off a piece in a low temp pan with some juice for those who want well done meat.

Oh, I always use lump for choice or prime grade. But then I use lump 99.9% of the time anyway.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Note - edited to change kettle to WSM for maximum control preference

Ray - thanks for the response.
I have an 8lb standing rib roast.
I'll probably use the garlic paste recipe from Chris and just a little cherry and apple wood mixed.
I've done two high cooks so far (turkey breast and brisket) and have not had any problems w/temps even in the cold.
I would rather have some more cooked on the outside and medium rare on the inside. Most in my fam prefer more cooked as opposed to me and my Dad who will take care of the "under-cooked" center.

Thanks again for your help!

I never put any of my grills away. I find that beer stays colder, longer. And the grills cook pretty much the same. All's well here in Columbus, OH

Back