SJS.s difference's

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
Does anyone have all of the basic 3 different SJ's and can put them side by side so I can see what is the real differences. And also are they all the same size except for the Jumbo? I think I have only seen 2 the one with the dish on the bottom & the one with the bail to go over the handle,to keep the lid on when transporting.
Thanks.

I can provide you with more than 3 styles if you want on the Smokies...also the Smokey Joe Platinum or Jumbo Joe.
What diff's are you looking for? Just the leg assemblies?
The SJS has the dish on the bottom.
The SJG has the bail that goes over the handle.
What other kind are you thinking? The older ones have different style leg assemblies.

This would be a great pic, Jeff! I am looking forward to it if you decide to take one.

I was thinking something like

panhandle>Galley-que>wire leg regular handle with daisy vents>Single bottom vent/ wide legs SJS> SJG> JJ

Ive forgot about the Galley Que legs.
Yeah, I have all those you mentioned Lawrence.

I've got this stupid thing going on right now called work, but when I get home later, I'll put some stuff together.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
I can provide you with more than 3 styles if you want on the Smokies...also the Smokey Joe Platinum or Jumbo Joe.
What diff's are you looking for? Just the leg assemblies?
The SJS has the dish on the bottom.
The SJG has the bail that goes over the handle.
What other kind are you thinking? The older ones have different style leg assemblies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff;

I was reading the post on the Mini WSM made out of a SJ, and so I was wondering which would be the best one to pick up as far a handling the ash build up, Air flow. I think this would be a real fun project. It seems that,SJS,&SJG are the most popular,so I would like to get one to use for the build. I know nothing of these little guys I think they are great but that is all.
Kevin

Ive never built one...I think many others here would have a much more expert opinion than I would...but I can certainly show you any picture of the bowl of any Smokey ever made if you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
Ive never built one...I think many others here would have a much more expert opinion than I would...but I can certainly show you any picture of the bowl of any Smokey ever made if you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff I am interested in the SJS,& SJG then I will understand what everyone on that Mini post is talking about. Thanks, I went to Wal mart but they did not have any out on display.

Here you go Kevin

002.jpg

This is a Smokey Joe Silver

001.jpg

This is a Smokey Joe Gold

004.jpg

This is the earliest Smokey Joe leg design. This is a 1960 Galley Que

006.jpg

This is an old Brown Smokey that has a offset top vent handle

Webergrills003.jpg

Here is the design after the brown Smokey pictured. These are what Weber called the "collapsable legs"

008.jpg

Here is what many refer to as the "wire leg" design.

010.jpg

And of course the Smokey Joe Platinum...or jumbo joe. This is a large version of the "gold" model

There is your basic Smokey Joe history!
I would assume most people make the mini smokers out of the gold models because of where the vents are positioned. With the way the vents are on the silver model...I would think the charcoal ash would collect right at the bottom where the vents are and likely cover those holes and choke out the coals prematurely. At least with the gold models...the vents are higher up and will always have plenty of air flow without having to worry about ash building up that high.

Kevin, the Silver has the air intake on the bottom where the ashes collect. Most people that build a Mini from a Silver add a can with holes to help deal with the ash build up.

The Gold with the air intake on both sides does not have the ash build up issues especialy with a basket to hold the coals.

I used a Silver but added Gold like holes on the sides to control air flow and eliminate ash build issues.

If I had to do it all over again I would use either a Gold or a Silver but with added 18 in WSM air intake vents on 2-3 sides.

Jeff;

I want to thank you for those great pictures it makes the next step easier, I just need to find a good deal on the smokey joe, and I am off to the races.
I think I would like to start with a Gold but would not turn down a good deal on a Silver either.
Kevin

Not a problem Kevin and Lawrence
Kevin...be patient and find a SJG...ultimately that's the one that will work best for what you want to do! Good luck

Wow.

this is pretty much just an awesome pictoral thread.

NEXT TIME....Jeff should snap the photos with the lid face up sitting next to the base. So we can see the top vent style, the handle style, and the vent color.

icon_razz.gif

Back