Preference - old or new WSM?

W Tyler

TVWBB All-Star
I have an older 18.5 WSM (last model prior to the 721001) that I bought used late last year, and a new one (still NIB). I've replaced the upper grate on the old one and cleaned it up to look like brand new. The PO had added a second coal grate for the "criss-cross" effect in order to use lump. He also added a thermometer (I have pics of it in another thread). I have yet to use it, so it's like I basically have two new WSMs.

Looking to possibly drop one of the two as I can never see myself using/needing two at one time. Question is which would you keep? The older one, which has the smaller water pan and add on thermometer? Or the newer one with the larger water pan and built in Weber thermometer? I think the newer one has a handle on the access door and the older one has a knob. That's not a big deal to me.

I'm leaning towards the older one because of the smaller pan, as I tend to use clay saucers instead of water anyway. It allows a heck of a lot more room than the big pan.

W Tyler,

Keep the old one, you can do those two mod very easy. sell the new wsm for $200, keep the change to spend on charcoal or buy the wife something.

Or better yet, mail them to me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Vincent.

Thanks guys. When time comes I'll part with the new one. With us looking to put our home on the market next month, it may be sooner than later.

If possible I would keep them both. It would give you lots of cooking surface and options to do two smokes with different meats and woods at the same time. I would go with the flexibility of 2-18in rather than 1-22.

Mike

I'm with Lew and Vincent on this one. The NIB will sell for more than the older one. As far as the larger WSM goes, I have yet to use the bottom grate in my 18.5" old WSM, so it's more than large enough for me....

Back