Helping a friend: Clogged fuel line ?

Friend asked me to diagnose his grill problem over the phone. Best I can tell, he just got a (few years old) Genesis S310. Says he has a newly filled propane tank, but can't get the burners to stay on for more than a few seconds.My first initial guess is a clogged fuel line (spiders). Said the grill worked a few weeks ago.

If this is the case, how is it fixed: order a new line from Weber ? Disconnecting and blowing ?

Any other thoughts ?

Thank you,

Stu

Sounds like the relief valve in the regulator has popped.
Try this.
Turn the gas bottle and BBQ off.
slowly open the gas bottle a few turns and wait 30 seconds.
after 30 seconds turn on the front burner and light it.
Wait for the front burner to light and stabilize then light the remaining burners.

This action resets the regulator. It is a good method to use all the time when using any gasser.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Sounds like the relief valve in the regulator has popped.
Try this.
Turn the gas bottle and BBQ off.
slowly open the gas bottle a few turns and wait 30 seconds.
after 30 seconds turn on the front burner and light it.
Wait for the front burner to light and stabilize then light the remaining burners.

This action resets the regulator. It is a good method to use all the time when using any gasser.

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil, he tried that, and this was his experience:

I tried this, it lit (a very small flame) and then there was a percolating sound for awhile(20 sec) , like bubbling, like gas was trying to get thru, then it conked out

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:

Phil, he tried that, and this was his experience:

I tried this, it lit (a very small flame) and then there was a percolating sound for awhile(20 sec) , like bubbling, like gas was trying to get thru, then it conked out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dumb question, where did the sound come from?

Next step remove the regulator hose from the bootle check that there is no blanking cap or foreign objects inside the tank fitting.

Next step Try a different regulator.
If that doesnt fix it remove the spider guard and examine for a blockage in this area.

I am guessing from your description that all burners have the same problem which indicattes that the blockage is located before the burner tubes meet.

Cheers

I have to try that, I had this issue for a couple years now on my Genesis. It gets real frustrating. I've tried cleaning, and blowing the lines, but it still doesn't work like it should. The only thing I haven't done is change the regulator. The local hardware store didn't think it was the regulator because it wasn't leaking any gas. We'll see what happens. Can't wait untill the Performer gets here.

Terry

If you are mechanically adept then in addition to the regulator the three gas valves could have stuff into the small holes(old grease). There are 2 ways to clean it out. One is to remove the manifold and the orifice from the output side of the manifold. Then blow air from the input side, opening one valve at a time. There are 2 holes in the gas valve. once you get a good volume of air from each valve you are good to go.
Second method (best if your ability can) Remove the guts from gas valve (5 oar 6 parts) clean well apply small amount of gas valve grease and re assemble each. This should fix everything except the regulator.

The easy way to replace the regulator is go to HD and get the hose-regulator assembly.

OR go to a propane store and get one there. The very best regulator is made by REGO and is quite costly.. last time I checked they were about $40. They are rebuildable if ever needed.

Gary, I finished tearing this Silver apart, yea I screwed up, it's not a Genesis. Took the manifold apart, along with the valves, burners, and everything else with a orfice (on the grill
icon_biggrin.gif
)Cleared out all the orfices, took the air compressor to everything, and put her back together. Same problem. Replaced the Regulator, BINGO I ! Good to go now, heats up nice, just took the Ribeye roast off the WSM, real good, to much smoke, my fault, I know better. Still edible though
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Performer should be here Wed. Thanks for the advice.

Terry
Sounds like you have done the deed . Did you notice the valves move smoother with the new grease?

Today is my youngest son's birthday and we always take the birthday boy to any food establishment of their choice (when he was small he always wanted to eat at Taco Bell). David has chosen dad to cook. So we are having aged Prime rib eyes cooked with just salt pepper and garlic granules. For sides we will have baked potatoes and a fresh salad. I can't decide whether to cook on the gasser or the performer.
maybe I will let him decide.

Yes, they do operate very smooth. As far as deciding what grill to use, all I can say is, it must be rough being you
icon_confused.gif
Happy bithday to the little man, and enjoy your meal. I'm keeping it simple today, just going to throw a couple half chickens on the grill (gasser), Performer should be here Wed.
icon_cool.gif
.A side dish of potato salad, then run down the local Creamery, and get some icecream.

Back