Regular pizza stone on gasser?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Has anyone used a regular pizza stone on a gasser without cracking it?

I like my grilled pizzas but prefer the texture of the crust a little better when done in the oven on a stone.

Rita

Bill, thanks. I'd planned to preheat the stone slowly. What temp are you taking your gasser to? The thermometer on my Genesis is on the right side of the front of the lid and I'm never sure about its accuracy due to its location. I replaced the Weber thermometer with a Tru-Temp.

And what heat setting do you ultimately use? Medium-high?

I was debating about somehow rigging up 2 stones about 4 or 5 inches apart in order to get better top heating for my pizzas. Any thoughts about that?

------------

Actually, Paul, I have a screen but haven't tried it yet.

Are you putting your dough on the screen, topping it, and then grilling it? Or are you cooking the first side on the screen, flipping it, then loading and grill-baking the second side?

I don't have a problem cooking the shaped dough on the grates and have been doing so for years, but would prefer to top the pizza and bake the whole thing at once, mainly because we love the chewy cornicione so much, and IMO it's better on an oven-style pizza than when grilled. Maybe it's because the extra handling when grilling the first side of the crust has a tendency to deflate the edges.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
I was debating about somehow rigging up 2 stones about 4 or 5 inches apart in order to get better top heating for my pizzas. Any thoughts about that?
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I take out the warming rack, and use 3 bricks to raise the stone or screen closer to the lid for the reflected heating off the lid. I've taken my stone up to 600, no problem... yet.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I put it on cold, and light all 6 burners on high, and let er rip.
icon_biggrin.gif
Don't think I ever used my Fibrament stone on the gasser though. Not sure how they take the heat?

Rita, I tried to respond to this twice, earlier, and each time, this 'puter locked up .. Must be trying to tell me something. I'll shoot you an email in the am.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Rita, my favorite grilled pizza is done on a stone on a kettle with charcoal. I have not done it many times but so far no problem. I'll dump a starter full of coals, spread them then place the stone (at room temp), allow it to heat up then grill the pie. I would be surprised if a std. gas grill would hurt a stone.

There is something about pizza cooked on a stone...my preference.

How much wood do yall use when grilling pizza?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Are you putting your dough on the screen, topping it, and then grilling it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita, yes I build it on the screen and grill it all at once. I don't have a stone, inside I used saltillo tiles but quit using them. Just going straight screen now.

Paul, thanks for the update. One concern that I have is that the bottom of a grill-baked crust on a screen will get done before the top of the crust acquires the spotty dark brown color that gives it so much flavor and a wood-fired look. That's one reason why I always bake my pizzas on the TOP rack of my oven --- the highest I can get my oven is 550°F convection.

I've thought of setting a foil pan (if I can find one large enough) over the pizza on the grill in order to concentrate the heat closer to the top of the pizza.

All theory, no test.

Rita

Instead of using a pizza stone would firebricks work? I know it might be a pain to lay them out but you wouldn't have to worry about cracking.

Rita,

I had the same problem....so I just moved it all inside to the oven. However, I've been baking on the lowest rack of the oven because my crust was not baking sufficiently on the top rack. Someone recommended going to the bottom and it's worked out better.

Paul, what oven temperature are you using? I set mine as hot as it will go (550° convection).

Most importantly, the oven should be preheated for a FULL HOUR to get the stone and oven walls thoroughly heated through. I tried to cut back to 1/2 and 3/4 hour and the pizzas did not turn out as well.

Rita

I have had no problems with many cooks using a Pizza stone on the cooking grate. When I tried it directly on the flavorizer bars I cracked it
icon_frown.gif

Rita
I put my Weber grilling tray upside down on the preheated Genisis and then place the cold stone complete with pie on the grilling tray, close the lid and turning the Genisis down halfway between medium and high cook the Pizza checking it after about 12 minutes, I found putting it on a hot stone I burnt the bottom before the pizza was completely cooked on the top.

Regards

Thanks, Don and Phil. It looks as if I suspected correctly, that there is an issue of the pizza not cooking evenly, top and bottom. I see both of you raised your stone and I'm thinking of doing that so the top of the pizza can catch some reflected heat from the gasser's lid. Now, to find something that will withstand the heat and also offer some stability.

I'm thinking at least 5 or 6 inches high or higher.

I happened across these pizza grills:

VILLAWARE STAINLESS STEEL PIZZA GRILL

and GRILL-TOP PIZZA STONE

Williams-Sonoma carried the second one but it is no longer available. I don't know if this is because it was a seasonal item or if it was somehow defective.

Rita

Hi Rita. You could try the charcoal ring from the WSM, I'm thinking a 16" stone will fit, could be worth a try.
Tim

I got my stone (rectangular) at WS for about $20 or so - significantly cheaper than the unitaskers. The height I have it at works great getting the top done when the bottom is nice and brown pizza

You've got me hungry for this now...it has been awhile.

we had a Pampered Chef pizza stone that cracked when used on a kettle. Who would have thought you cant put a stone on something hot? Not me.
And who would have bought another PS Stone after the first one cracked? My wife.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back