Throwdown #2: Potatoes

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
potatoes-group.jpg

In honor of the monumental side dish failure in my Throwdown #1 cook, I have chosen potatoes as the theme ingredient for Throwdown #2. As before, entries should be cooked during the month of January and posted on or before the 31st. Four preparation pictures, unlimited text, and one plated picture are allowed in your submission, which should be posted to this thread.

Allez cuisine!

To bad i alredy played This card.

<span class="flash-video"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
style="height: 390px; width: 640px"
><param name="wmode"
value="transparent"
></param><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="never"
></param><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGlRak6RbGA?version=3&feature=player_embedded"
name="movie"
/><param value="true"
/><param value="always"
/><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
wmode="transparent"
allowScriptAccess="never"
height="360"
width="640"
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGlRak6RbGA?version=3&feature=player_embedded"
/></object></span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
To bad i alredy played This card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First thing I thought of when the ingredient was released.

Dan, do it again! Your show was AWESOME!
Maybe spin-it a bit... instead of balls in the box, carve the letters "W" "S" "M"
icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, right
icon_rolleyes.gif

I forgot all about Daniel's magic potato trick. I can't see any reason to not bring that back -- I'll just sit this one out.

I think this will be a good one. We have had a lot of fantastic potatoes as side dishes in the Photo Gallery lately, but this will give everyone reason to focus more on the lowly tuber and less on the proteins that we're normally drawn to.

I just hope we can get some more participation!!! Maybe Chris can cross-post this on all the sub-forums towards the end of the month, like was done with the last IC battle.

Yeah I say go ahead an bring it back as well. Liked it the first time I saw it on your initial post (as well as the rest of that meal).

They really looked cool when finished on the grill in that post.

Potatoes! Flexible, yet certainly challenging to elevate them to the IC level....hmmm...I like it.

Point of clarification please...will 'sweet potatoes' be allowed? My understanding is that sweet potatoes are not true potatoes. That's fine. Just want to make sure of the rules.

Thanks,

Paul

I tried to come up with something new that has not been tried on this forum so here you go.

"Ball of Yarn Potatoes"

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

Use a peeler to get strips of potato. Take a chunk of bacon and a chunk of cheese held together with toothpicks Wrap the Bacon/Cheese with potato strips. Beat two eggs and coat the ball. Cook indirect for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

The outside comes out crunchy and the inside is soft and cheesy.

Bill,
Could you knit me a bacon/cheese/potato scarf for my upcoming B'day?

Beautiful tubers that will be hard to top!!

The bar has been set very high indeed. And I appreciate Bill setting it with 2 weeks to go. Come on everybody, lets get some competition for this throwdown.

Bill's taters look and sound amazing, but I'm throwing down a variation that's a little more for the average jim
icon_wink.gif

I didn't set out to beat bill just to make something a little more repeatable and knock the ABT down a notch. Fyi, I was planning on making these before bill posted his taters.
Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots

Take some tater tots, add in a slice of pickled jalepeno, wrap it up in a half strip of bacon, tooth pick 'em, grill them indirect like you would your ABT's or MOINKS then top with shredded cheese and enjoy.

utf-8BSU1HMDIwODMtMjAxMjAxMjAtMTc1My5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDIwODUtMjAxMjAxMjAtMTgxNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDIwODctMjAxMjAxMjAtMjAzOC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDIwODktMjAxMjAxMjAtMjA0NS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDIwOTYtMjAxMjAxMjAtMjA1MS5qcGc.jpg

THESE were OMF'n GOD good! Make 'em yourself. You won't have any leftover either!

I've made them for guests and they said its the best thing they've eaten in at least 10 years.

TIPS
# Let the tot thaw some before you toothpick 'em.
# I used a chunk of oak for smoke wood and it was great.
# I used fiesta cheese but pretty much any shredded cheese would work good.
# I cooked mine hotter prolly 400•ish to get crispy bacon about 25 minutes.
# Enjoy with friends and beer and make 2 batches!

Edit: added title

Back