Rack of Lamb with Savory Rosemary Rub and garlic

Brian Nobles

TVWBB Fan
Prep time: about 1:15 minutes. Cook time: about 2 hours

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> 1 Rack of lamb, Frenched; 1½ to 2 pounds, or about 8 ribs. Each rack this size will serve two to three people. For twice the lamb just double all ingredients.
<LI> 1 large garlic clove, sliced into 7 thin slices
<LI> Olive oil
<LI> Apple Juice in a spray bottle [/list]

The Rub
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> 3 large garlic cloves, minced
<LI> 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped; or, bottled rosemary ground in a mortar
<LI> 1 ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
<LI> 1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
<LI> Fresh, finely grated lemon zest from one lemon (optional)[/list]

Mix the ingredients in a bowl or grind them all together in a mortar. The rub will actually be more of a paste than a dry rub due the minced garlic.

Instructions:

Let the lamb reach room temperature. Prepare the lamb by trimming off the outside fat and removing the membrane from the bone side.
From the bone side, cut a very small slit into the meat between each bone and insert a thin garlic slice. The slits you make should be as small as possible while still allowing the garlic to be inserted.
Optional: Wrap each exposed bone in foil to protect the bone from burning. In my WSM I don't have this problem. If you are using another smoker / grill then you might.
Brush the lamb lightly with olive oil, and then apply the rub onto all sides of the meat.

Fire up the briquettes. In the WSM I use 1 tall chimney of coals.
Add the wood of your choice. I usually use Mesquite. Today I'm trying Apple.
Allow the smoker to reach 225º and then place the lamb on the smoker (I use the top rack). Keep the heat between 225º and 250º. Cook for about 2 hours, spraying with Apple Juice every 30 minutes.

When deemed done, remove from the smoker. I remove the lamb when a meat thermometer reads 135°F (medium rare).

If you used foil on the bone tips you can take it off now.
Place the lamb on a platter or carving board and cover with foil and let it rest for 10-15 min's.

Slice the ribs apart into individual chops for serving. Look for the garlic pieces that you inserted and remove them. You probably don't want to bit into a hunk of garlic.

A great side dish is garlic mashed potatoes.

Back