What's your favorite coffee maker?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
My 7 year old Bunn has sprung a leak, and I'm in the market for a new joe maker.

I buy USA made stuff when I can, but know that's pretty impossible these days.

Don't need bells and whistles, just good fresh brewed coffee.

Thanks for any rec's!

Not a recommendation, just answering the initial question. I tend to buy the standard Mr. Coffee 10 cup el-cheapo model from somewhere like K-mart. Mine get grungy and a lot of water spots and calcium spots. I usually replace every 2 or 3 years due to them getting so funky.

Bob,a friend of mine has a Bunn. He's had it for 15+ years. He says that if it ever dies,he's buying another! He had a fit when his wife spent over a hundred dollars on a fancy coffe grinder/brewer. It does make a d#@& fine cup of joe though!
I had Black and Decker coffee pots for several years. But after a few years(3-4),they would develop leaks! There is a B&D outlet store,so I could get a replacement for $10 or so. A few years ago,sweet Pammi Sue got me a nice Mr. Coffee at Bed,Bath & Beyond. Works great,but right after the warranty went out,the LCD readout started going out. So if the power goes out,or it gets accidentally unplugged,I've gotta guess when resetting it. Other than that,it's been a great coffe pot!

I have a Technivorm for drip, which I like quite a bit. Brews at correct temperatures right out of the box, which is surprisingly hard to find.

It may get some flack from the coffee purists but we have a Keurig and absolutely love it. The price per cup is more than a standard coffee maker but we always found that with a standard maker we had to make a full pot for it to be decent. Not drinking a full pot at a time, we usually ended up throwing a lot down the drain. So, I think we are spending about the same on coffee, just not wasting as much.

Variety is another plus. There are hundreds of different coffees to choose from. We buy 4 or 5 different coffees at a time. Always have a variety. We now buy some decaf (something we never would have done with a standard machine because I'd never make a full pot of decaf). I now have coffee all the time at night. They have all varieties of teas and hot chocolates too.

We've given them out to family members as gifts over the years and some were skeptical at first but are now converts. Even my 90 year old grandmother loves hers and uses it with ease daily...and she has trouble working the tv remote.

I'm behind W_Stewart in the shopping line replacing the Mr. Coffee every year or two for the very same reasons.
We had this Cuisinart (actually went thru two of them) until we decided a 20 dollar unit makes the same cup of joe.
And I drink straight black coffee, not trying to hide or alter a bad cup with sugar or creme.
smiley-eatdrink013.gif

Well i dont know if they even sell "OBH Nordica" cafe avanti it cost alot and i think i have 20 ideas to make it better. DONT GET IT !

Whatever Brand you go for, go after the final product and not the looks like i did!

Not really a purist here but I grind my beans daily and use a press pot or a french press. One of these days I may start roasting my own beans on my WSM or my OTS.

We had two Bunns and loved them. This last time I went with the Cuisinart grind and brew. I like it because I like freshly ground beans. I will admit there is a lot more clean up than a standard coffee maker. I have kids still at home and I leave that job to them!
icon_wink.gif
I do an occasional thorough cleaning myself as teenagers don't seem to have the same attention to detail as me.
icon_biggrin.gif
One other thing I like about the Cuisinart is that you can set it to start at a certain time, so when I come downstairs, coffee is ready. Of course you can just hit the button too. It takes around seven minutes to grind and brew. hth.

I'm into black drip coffee, and the brewer that has won most tests here in Europe is the Technivorm Mocca master. Do not buy the CD thermo model, it looks nice, but the coffee does not get hot enough.

A big safety feature of this brewer is the twin heat elements, a big one for heating the water during brewing, and a small one to heat the plate. The large element is controlled with a floating switch, and it turns off most of the power the brewer uses after the water has gone through the machine. This reduces the risk of a thermostat failure and the risk of fire if you forget to turn off the brewer.

Clean it every fortnight, ground your own fresh beans, and you will have world class coffee faster than you can say "barrista". It usually lasts for around twenty years. I have a model that looks like this:

http://www.moccamaster.eu/prod...moccamaster_kbg_741/

Bought one last year but didn't like how it's made, though it looks cool. Returned it. For making a pot I mostly use a French press; if automatic is needed a Capresso (they have similar brew temps as Technivorm but the coffee stays hotter); for just a cup in the morning when I'm traveling, an Aeropress.

Thanks for all the input!

Kevin,
I just researched the AeroPress, and for under 25 bucks it looks like a must have, even though I don't drink espresso.
Hot water can be added for very low acid American style coffee.
Perfect for that evening cup or two.

I have a Black and Decker and it is working great. My absolute favorite coffee maker is the red head at the local Starbucks.

Mike

Bob, I have to side with Don here. My wife and I just statred drinking coffee about 6 months ago. We had the standard coffee pot for a while, but it is just the two of us drinking it, so we would throw away A LOT of coffee every morning. For Christmas, my beautiful bride surprised me with a Keurig coffee maker! This thing is AWESOME! The variety of coffee flavors is great, and the speed of brewing and convenience of the single cup is a great bonus as well. As for the cost, I probably don't want to know how much the coffee maker cost, but I can tell you this, so far, it is worth every penny!
If you are brewing fo several coffee drinkers, the standard Mr. Coffee would probably be the way to go. But if its just for one or two people, I highly recomend the Keurig.
Good luck either way, and let us know what you wind up brewing your 'Liquid Life Support' with!
icon_biggrin.gif

I can't say that I don't enjoy the Keurig that we have at work, but I also don't pay for the coffee. I don't think I'll ever be without a Bunn at home.

I love the coffee we get from our plan old Farberware Classic Yosemite Stainless Steel Percolator. I fire up the gas stove and in a short time we are smelling the awesome aroma and hearing the percolating sound. Not long after that we are having great tasting coffee. Just do this on Saturday mornings when we have more time.

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
I just researched the AeroPress, and for under 25 bucks it looks like a must have, even though I don't drink espresso.
Hot water can be added for very low acid American style coffee.
Perfect for that evening cup or two.
I LOVE my AeroPress too. It is great for making iced coffee in the summertime.

Don't be fooled by their advertising hype - it does NOT make real espresso. You need an espresso machine for that.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Bought one last year but didn't like how it's made, though it looks cool. Returned it. For making a pot I mostly use a French press; if automatic is needed a Capresso (they have similar brew temps as Technivorm but the coffee stays hotter); for just a cup in the morning when I'm traveling, an Aeropress.
When I purchased a new coffee maker last year, I did a lot of research at the Coffee Geeks web site. They seemed to prefer the Technivorm over the Capresso , but only by a little. I have no qualms about recommending the Technivorm. I bought one and use it to brew great coffee every day - I roast my own beans too.

Don't be fooled by their advertising hype - it does NOT make real espresso. You need an espresso machine for that.

True. What is does do well is make a very good short cup of coffee. You can drink like that as I do, or you can add some water to soften it. To me, it doesn't really need this. YMMV.

Back