Meat Grinder

That's been a very popular grinder on several forums I frequent. It's a smaller one but I've not read any negative comments about it.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
That's been a very popular grinder on several forums I frequent. It's a smaller one but I've not read any negative comments about it.
icon_cool.gif

I read a ton of reviews about various grinders and for the price, this one was the best option for me. It’s just me, my wife and two kids so I don’t anticipate needing anything bigger. The only other thing I’m thinking of getting is a vertical stuffer as I’ve been told the stuffing tubes that come with the grinders aren't the best. Bill, do you grind your own meat and make sausage?

My dad has that model, and I've used it for Andouille sausage and to make Boudain. I like it, and it seems to work well, even on very chilled large cubes of pork shoulder.

Originally posted by Toby Keil:
Bill, do you grind your own meat and make sausage?
I do grind my own and have recently started making sausage. I have a SausageMaker TMS-8 but I believe yours is better. This one does bog down a bit so you have to go slow and turn it off from time to time to cool. I bought this one from Northern Tool along with a motor, pillow blocks, pully's and what not to make something like this motorized version but still need a few things .. And some motivation.. I also have a 5 lb vertical stuffer from Sausagemaer and a 15 lb model from Northern Tool and an electric 20 lb smoker from the SM so I have pretty much everything I need but still have some more to purchase and some assembly work to do to get things rolling.

Bill

Boy if you could get a motor and the rest of the stuff that thing would crank. I'm interested in your 20lb smoker, what kind is it and do you have a link? Also, I think I'll just save my self the hassle and order the 5 lb vertical stuffer. Thanks for the info and I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain now and then.

Not at all, Toby.
icon_smile.gif

I have the Sausage Makers stainless, insulated smoker linked here. . You can find other versions for much less but I can't offer comparative info. When I got mine, many of the optional items below were included and the price was lower too. It really only "comfortably" does 15 lbs at a time so... I have the motor and everything else except for the wood for a base, a suitable power switch, where I can reverse it, and the belts. A stuffer will be a huge help IMO. Be carefull of the 5 lbers you find on the net though because some of them have thin buckets.

Bill
icon_smile.gif
Ask away..

EDIT: Wittdog over on BBQ Cent is a huge help .. He helped get me started and met me at the SM when I made my initial investment.

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
My dad has that model, and I've used it for Andouille sausage and to make Boudain. I like it, and it seems to work well, even on very chilled large cubes of pork shoulder.

Hey Tom, do make your sausage then cook it right away on the WSM or do you also have another smoker strictly for sausage? I plan on making small batches that I can keep in the fridge for a few days then I can smoke them on my WSM. At some point I would love to get a dedicated smoker so I can make larger quantities and try Pepperoni, salami, etc.

We used his smoker that he bought from one of those popular sausage supply catalogues. It worked just fine, and cost just under $100.

He almost is finished with a old fridge that he converted to a smoker as well.

That andouille I made was just amazing. It makes the best jambalaya I have ever had

Toby,

I bought the same grinder.

Works great, and the reverse mode is a lifesaver with fatty meats.

As for smoking sausage, I do it both ways after I make it. Some gets smoked/cooked right away, and some gets frozen uncooked.

Originally posted by craig castille:
Toby,

I bought the same grinder.

Works great, and the reverse mode is a lifesaver with fatty meats.

As for smoking sausage, I do it both ways after I make it. Some gets smoked/cooked right away, and some gets frozen uncooked.

Craig, how long will the fresh sausage last in the freezer and how does it taste after it thaws out?

Gary, I have the Kitchen Aid attachment, and have used it a bit to grind up meat for chorizo. If I were going to get into a regular habit of making sausage, I wouldn't bother with it, and instead buy a bigger better grinder.

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Does anybody have the kitchen Aid attachment? Any comments?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

I love it. I ise it off and on, it does what I needed it for. I have made ground beecf for burgers (I grind up a whole brisket) I have used it for ground lamb, and to make my own sausage.

I had a hand crank, which tore my arm off when I used it when I was younger, and I use the Kitchen aid all the time, so getting the meat grinder was a natural addition.

I have not been dissapointed. I don't have the space or the budget for another appliance, so I don't need something that is huge for grinding.

It has served my purposes, but I also don;'t grind every day or every week. But it is easy to clean and works well.

We have the Kitchenaid grinder attachment, and it works well enough. We mostly use it in the fall during hunting season (I butcher my own, and she even helps - what a woman
icon_cool.gif
)

It's definitely capable. It's a workhorse, but my only problem is its not the easiest way to grind a large load of meat, that's all.

I've been informed by multiple sources that a grinder should be a minimum of 3/4 hp. The Sausage Maker here in Buffalo claims that they use to sell kitchenaids with grinders with an unconditional 1 year warranty. They had to stop selling them because too many people were burning out the motors in less than a year. Of course he was trying to sell me dedicated sausage making equipment.

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

We have it, and have used it to grind beef, and a couple of times I've ground whole pork butts (usually about 7 pounds each) for sausage. I think it works just fine for occasional use.

I find that the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment works fine, but you have to cut small cubes. The sausage stuffer isn't very good. I use a 5 lb verticle.

Back