need help.... weber e310

Nick Smith

I just got mine put together and it took about 2 hours. When i was done everything went like planned but something didn't look right. There is probably a 2 inch gap in between the control panel and the cook box. Is that supposed to be there or not? I would assume as in all the bolts lined up and everything, but it just doesn't look right. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

Everything should be nice and flush. It's been a few months since I put my 330 togethor and I remember I had a problem with the front panel (where the control knobs are mounted) and how it fit against the fire box. I can't remember exactly what I did wrong, but reread the instructions carefully, paying attention to how everything orientates and slips togethor on the front panel and you'll catch your oversight. Sorry, I can't be that specific, but I had the same issue and caught it before I went onto the next step.

Originally posted by Nick Smith:
I just got mine put together and it took about 2 hours. When i was done everything went like planned but something didn't look right. There is probably a 2 inch gap in between the control panel and the cook box. Is that supposed to be there or not? I would assume as in all the bolts lined up and everything, but it just doesn't look right. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!
Picture would help but I'd say something is wrong. Look at an assembled one in the store.

Hey Nick did you ever figure this out? LAst night I was grilling on the weber and looked down and yes, there is a gap betweent he top of the front knob panel and the actual fire box.

The front knob panel should sit flush against the side units. Everything should look square and tight.

Originally posted by Andy in MA:
Hey Nick did you ever figure this out? LAst night I was grilling on the weber and looked down and yes, there is a gap betweent he top of the front knob panel and the actual fire box.

The front knob panel should sit flush against the side units. Everything should look square and tight.

Yes, I did the same. But there IS a gap between the control console and the firebox. It is less than 1" though. By design, the firebox should NOT be too close to the control panel as the firebox gets extremely hot.

On the newer 330s (2012 vs. 2011), Weber has even added a heat shield inside the firebox at the 330 sear station. It's a small box of stainless that puts about a 1/2" gap of air between the flame and the firebox. I noticed that in a pic of mine and a friend with the 2011 said his 330 doesn't have it.

Edit: Check here for pics of my 330 assembly. Several show the gap and how it is roughly uniform all around the firebox. Also, one specifically shows that heat shield.

http://www.bbqsource-forums.co...search=1&#entry85844

Rich

Hey Rich, I checked out your pictures via your link. Are you sure you have a 2012 Genesis EP330?

I ask because I too have a brick red EP 330 and I was told by Weber that the Red was discontinued for 2012.

My wife insited that if we spend the$ on a weber that it be her favorite color: red. In January 0f 2012 I noticed the offical weber site no longer showed a red one. I called weber and was told they were discontinued and if I wanted one, I would have to find a 2011 left over.

That's interesting and I can only say that I also found it new at several dealers (Ace and TruValue). I haven't seen a code list that includes recent years.

Also, it is shown in the 2012 Weber hardcopy catalog.

And as I said, mine has that heat shield inside the firebox that my friends one year older EP-330 doesn't have.

All-in-all, I THINK it's a 2012 or at least a later model than the original (which was 2011). Not to disparage them, but we have also seen that the Weber helpdesk is not always right with their info.

Rich

Huh. I assumed I purchased a 2011 because I bought it in March of this year (via the internet from a NY dealer) and was told by Weber that there were no red 2012's.

But last night double checked and there's no heat shield on mine.

Maybe I got a 2010? Maybe they made some changes mid model year? Maybe Weber customer support didn't know what they were talking about when I called?

Regardless, I love this grill! and hopefully the original poster; Nick has his front panel on correctly.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jeff Brown (KY):
quote:
On the newer 330s (2012 vs. 2011), Weber has even added a heat shield inside the firebox at the 330 sear station.

My ep-330 is a 2011 and it has the heatshield.

Huh. I assumed I purchased a 2011 because I bought it in March of this year (via the internet from a NY dealer) and was told by Weber that there were no red 2012's.

Maybe I got a 2010? Maybe they made some changes mid model year? Maybe Weber customer support didn't know what they were talking about when I called?

Regardless, I love this grill! and hopefully the original poster; Nick has his front panel on correctly.
icon_smile.gif

Definitely, the grill is great and I hope Nick is enjoying it.

But this IS a little mystifying. Andy and Jeff, would you mind posting the date code from your grills? It's the first two bold alpha characters of the serial number. That's on the side of the drip pan shelf.

Mine is AU.

Or does anyone know of an up-to-date listing of the date codes. The only one I've seen ends at 2009.

Rich

Andy and Jeff, would you mind posting the date code from your grills?
The serial# on mine is - AA 11995xx I bought it in July of 2011. The schematics on Weber's web site shows the heat shield on the 2011 EP-330. If you know someone that has a 2011 EP-330 without it than it was left off.

icon_smile.gif
If you had a 2010 the knobs would be on the side table as the burners ran E/W. In 2011 the burners went to N/S putting the knobs on the front of the grill. The 330 was also new in 2011. I would guess that costumer service is confused on this one. I have seen several Brick Red Genesis' advertised as new 2012's.

Hi Jeff

I checked my 330 and the code reads AU 0162XXX. It's definatley a 2011 as it has the knobs on the front and the burners run N-S. But has no heat shield...??

Hi Andy

The "AU" indicates that your grill is a 2012. Are you sure about the heat shield? You really have to look for it to even know it's there. It's just a small 1/4" deep stainless box just inside the cook box where the left, sear and center burners enter the cook box. Shoot a picture of the inside of the cook box where the burners enter and post it if you can. I bet it's there.

I dunno, Jeff. Yeah it's worth rechecking, but my 2012 has the heat shield (1/2" deep). Yours is a 2011 and has it. It seems like possibly some of each year were built without it. I wonder if Weber would retrofit?

One guy I know with a 2011 that DOESN'T have the heat shield commented to me on how HOT the control panel at the sear station gets.

I don't know what a retrofit would take, but possibly it would be minor. Mine has a single screw in a "socket" of the firebox at the center of the shield. If a grill has the "socket" but no shield, it would be easy for Weber to send a heat shield and screw to remedy the grill. If there is no "socket" that's a different story.

Rich

Didn't get a change to take any pictures. Not being one of the cool kids with a fancy internet phone, getting quality pics posted online can sometimes be a pain. i'd like to get to the bottom of this and if for some reason I don't have a heat shield I'd like to see if one can be retrofitted. (then agian, I could be a complete spaz and the shield is there and I'm just not seeing it.)

We love to sear our steaks and get the grill ver very hot and we've found the front panel as well as the hood handle get too hot to handle. Anything to help elivatie this would be appreciated.

Didn't get a change to take any pictures. Not being one of the cool kids with a fancy internet phone, getting quality pics posted online can sometimes be a pain. i'd like to get to the bottom of this and if for some reason I don't have a heat shield I'd like to see if one can be retrofitted. (then agian, I could be a complete spaz and the shield is there and I'm just not seeing it.)

We love to sear our steaks and get the grill ver very hot and we've found the front panel as well as the hood handle get too hot to handle. Anything to help elivatie this would be appreciated.

Andy, were you able to find the pic? In case not, I've posted a direct url to it here:

http://www.bbqsource-forums.co...post&attach_id=17140

(I've never been able to figure out how to get a pic into TVWBB -- maybe with the new software.)

Notice the shield is right on the front near the sear burner control. You can just see the knobs outside the firebox. Look carefully and you can make out the screw that holds the shield in right in the center of it. This is directly under the grate.

At highest heating levels for longer periods, my handle will get got too. But not to hot to touch and open. I'd think it would be REALLY hot without the heat shield.

Rich

Back