Mark F.

TVWBB Member
This is for Janet G /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Apple Cake with Hot Caramel Sauce

Preheat oven to 350

Lightly grease and LIGHTLY flour a tube pan

The cake:

1/2 c pecans (or walnuts)
5 medium apples chopped ( to yield 2 1/2c) ( McIntosh or other firm cooking apples)
1/2 c butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 t baking soda
1/2 salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1 c flour (you can add another 1/4 c)

The hot caramel sauce:

1/2 c butter
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c evaporated milk
Brandy to taste

Cake:

Process nuts in a food process till nearly fine
Set aside
Peel apples, quarter and process until they are medium-coarse shards about the size of almonds.

Blend the butter and sugar in a mixer
Add egg to the above
Stir in the apples & nuts
Sift the dry ingredients together
Gently stir dry ingredients into the above mixture

The mixture will be thick.

Put mixture in the tube pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan 10-15 minutes. Run a table knife around the sides and bottom of pan and turn cake onto plate.

Sauce:

Melt butter over LOW heat
Stir in sugar, salt, vanilla
Slowly add milk while stirring
When above is mixed turn heat off and add brandy

I like this best with the sauce served warm but you can serve it at room temperature. If you have left over sauce it's good on ice cream.

Thanks, Mark. The cake sounds wonderful! Approximately how much bourbon do you normally add to the caramel sauce?

Janet

Actually none...it's brandy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif That was my mistake in my earlier post when I said it was bourbon. Seriously though...how much you add is really up to your taste. I added several splashes.

When you go to do the apples in the food processor, don't use the regular blade (you'll end up with applesauce). Use the grater attachment -- the one with all those holes. It'll make the apples just like almond slivers as the recipe calls for.

Also, when you serve the cake, heat up both the sauce and the cake. It's best when both are warm.

Let me know how you make out with it!

Buon appetito!

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the recipe! I made the cake yesterday and took it to a cookout and everyone raved about it! I was a little worried when I took it out of the pan. It was a flat little thing /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, but it tastes great! There was nothing but caramel sauce left (which will be great on ice cream).

Janet

Glad ya liked it, Janet! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, I forgot to tell you that it is supposed to be a "flat little thing". But, as you say, it tastes great.

Mark,

Have you tried doubling this recipe? I've been informed by my husband that I'm making this cake this weekend for the family's barbecue cook-off. There will be at least 30 people there and you need to have enough for everyone to sample. Is my best bet to make two?

Janet,

I've never tried doubling it. With my luck, I'd end up with a brick. I'd go with making two just to be safe.

Mark

Back