Vintage or Antique Weber Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Gilson

TVWBB Fan
As some of you know I recently purchased a 20 year old Red One Touch Kettle with some encouragement from forum members. Many thanks to those who help steer me in the right direction!

That being said, I can't seem to find any online resources for the identification of old Weber products except for the date codes from the TVWB. I know that many of you here on the forum probably know pretty much everything there is to know about old webers but I don't and I need somewhere to turn.

I have a lot of questions such as:

Value of kettles? Is a Red kettle from 1991 worth $50? Is a black kettle from 1973 worth $300?

Condition of kettles? How much pitting on the ash catcher affects the value? Does a rusted original cooking grate or new replacement bring more value? Is there a proper way to repair chipped porcelain or should it just be left chipped? Should a kettle be cleaned up, restored or left alone? Is there a grading system of condition like there is with other collectables?

Kettle Colors? Are there rare colors? Are some colors more popular than others? Can a limited edition color have more value based on color alone? How many kettles of a given color were produced in a given year?

I could go on but I have to go to bed sometime!!

By the way, Thanks to GMA for sending me over here from the NBBQN forums where I first asked some of these questions.

Let the knowledge flow!!

congrats on the old red head.

red heads are more sought after by us weber enthusiasts.

i'll try to answer some of your questions.

Value: The value of a kettle really depends on it's condition, its rarity, and most importantly - how badly someone wants it
icon_smile.gif

A red kettle from 91 in good condition would totally be worth 50 bucks.
A black kettle from 73 in good condition might be worth 15 or 20. (i wouldn't pay more than 10)

There's no sure-fire way to repair porcelain. I've had good luck with high heat caliper paint found at advanced auto parts, but it's definitely not as good as the porcelain.

I don't care about original grates, unless it's a 26".

Ash catcher - i'd rather try to clean one and get it back into it's original shape and NOT have one (and i've seen plenty of vintage kettles without the ash pan)

Rare colors: totally. black kettles are a dime a dozen. Green, blue, and dark red are still being made - so they're not really rare (unless you find a master touch or a smokey joe)
There are a lot of old colors that are rare (some rarer than others).
pastel blue, pastel green, yellow, avocado, burgundy, brown, red

It seems most of your questions are based on value. If you're looking to do this as a business or investment, you'd probably be better off investing in something else.

Vintage and rare kettles only have value to us collectors. There are likely only a few dozen people willing to pay obscene prices for a rare kettle (and most of them are reading this forum)

Troy, Thank you very much for the info!!

You have pretty much answered all of my questions.

As you have probably guessed, I have a BBQ problem
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
and it has turned towards collecting old Weber Kettles. I have no interest in making an investment or starting a business. I just want to be a smart collector.

As is with most things that gain value as a collectable; someone, somewhere will start making reproductions or will manipulate new items to make them appear old. I don't want to get swindled!!

I live in Alaska and am certain that not many will show up here. I will probably need to work deals online to get the good stuff. Therefore, I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

Your last sentence tells me pretty much everything I need to know!! I am a member of a small segment of society that gains pleasure from old webers!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
congrats on the old red head.

red heads are more sought after by us weber enthusiasts.

i'll try to answer some of your questions.

Value: The value of a kettle really depends on it's condition, its rarity, and most importantly - how badly someone wants it
icon_smile.gif

A red kettle from 91 in good condition would totally be worth 50 bucks.
A black kettle from 73 in good condition might be worth 15 or 20. (i wouldn't pay more than 10)

There's no sure-fire way to repair porcelain. I've had good luck with high heat caliper paint found at advanced auto parts, but it's definitely not as good as the porcelain.

I don't care about original grates, unless it's a 26".

Ash catcher - i'd rather try to clean one and get it back into it's original shape and NOT have one (and i've seen plenty of vintage kettles without the ash pan)

Rare colors: totally. black kettles are a dime a dozen. Green, blue, and dark red are still being made - so they're not really rare (unless you find a master touch or a smokey joe)
There are a lot of old colors that are rare (some rarer than others).
pastel blue, pastel green, yellow, avocado, burgundy, brown, red

It seems most of your questions are based on value. If you're looking to do this as a business or investment, you'd probably be better off investing in something else.

Vintage and rare kettles only have value to us collectors. There are likely only a few dozen people willing to pay obscene prices for a rare kettle (and most of them are reading this forum)

Well put Troy

Originally posted by Dan Gilson:
Troy, Thank you very much for the info!!

You have pretty much answered all of my questions.

As you have probably guessed, I have a BBQ problem
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
and it has turned towards collecting old Weber Kettles. I have no interest in making an investment or starting a business. I just want to be a smart collector.

As is with most things that gain value as a collectable; someone, somewhere will start making reproductions or will manipulate new items to make them appear old. I don't want to get swindled!!

I live in Alaska and am certain that not many will show up here. I will probably need to work deals online to get the good stuff. Therefore, I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

Your last sentence tells me pretty much everything I need to know!! I am a member of a small segment of society that gains pleasure from old webers!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

We're happy to have you here!

It's always good to have company with similar interests (and doesn't think you're insane for owning more than a dozen weber kettles)

This is really a quite interesting thread... and this is my first post as well. I have owned dozens of Weber grills... And until recently... the last two years, I have always let the old one go when I "upgraded". Then I thought it would be cool to keep an extra kettle around. But which one? So I set about trying to find a Master's Touch. And then I decided to upgrade my Platinum 22 to a Performer, and I kept the Platinum. Then I found an 18.5 Platinum for the lake... Then I converted my Smokey Joe into a smoker w/ a tamale pot. So the quest was on to find a Jumbo Joe... and that took 6 months. Must not have been many sold around here.

And the thought of value, monetary value, never came up. When I told the guy with the Jumbo I'd give him $20 over his ask just to hold it 'til I got back, I thought I was getting a bit out of hand. But I had to have it.

Now... intrinsic value. That is possibly more directionally correct. The enjoyment of a good cook, with good food, with good friends, in front of a well built piece of American engineering.

Here is south of the Twin Cities, MN.

Thanks for the welcome. Wasn't til recently that I decided to join here. Spend most of my time at the BBQ Brethren site. Lots of good folks here it seems.

Patrick, Nice looking Gassers! Glad to see Weber Fanatics reside outside the USA!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

What would your cost have been in $$? Hard for me to equate.

Robb, Looks like you have been bitten by the bug too!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the fold!

Okay, "Dan" it all makes sense now! You have a special interest in red kettles and live at the North Pole. One of those three "dogs" wouldn't happen to have a red nose now would it? Please have your <STRIKE>elves</STRIKE> workers make red kettles and WSM's for all of us here at the TVWB? Wev'e been good! We promise to leave you some barbecue out when you drop our gifts off.

Oh, and please make a red ranch kettle for Jeff!
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Dan...it all started with a redhead for me too.
And Robb, you will see that you will probably always be on the lookout for a grill that you don't have yet!

Dan...a red ranch would be the bomb! Let me know when you are done making one!
016.jpg

Enjoy!

Shaun, I'm not the Big Guy but his house is just down the road from mine.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll go down and see if I can call in a favor for the Red Kettles, WSMs and Rancher for Jeff but he doesn't like the way I look at his reindeer so I don't know how far I will get!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff, That is an incredible collection. Now I know why you want a Red Rancher!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm gonna print that picture on a calendar and hang it on my garage wall!

Nice collection Jeff! I thought I was bad with just 4! I got rid of my go any where cause I just did not like it.

Originally posted by Dan Gilson:
Patrick, Nice looking Gassers! Glad to see Weber Fanatics reside outside the USA!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

What would your cost have been in $$? Hard for me to equate.

Robb, Looks like you have been bitten by the bug too!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi well about $90 for both
Have to fix the junior still but the ot works

Welcome to the fold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back