Smoked Venison Meatloaf

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
For all of you that have some fresh venison in the freezer, wish I was one, here is a great smoked venison meatloaf I got from bbqbob several years ago. Beef works good in place of venison.

Venison Meatloaf Roll-up!

Meatloaf:
2 1/2 lbs. ground venison
1/2-3/4 lbs. ground pork
1 roll Ritz (brand) crackers, crushed
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/12 Tbls. Lowery's Season Salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. cumin (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. allspice (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
cayenne pepper to taste if you want some heat
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 lb. swiss cheese, sliced
1/2- 1 cup dried porcin mushrooms rehydrated in about 1 cup of port wine and drained, or about 1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms sliced thin

Topping:
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
about 1/2 cup chili sauce or ketchup

Cooking instructions:

Mix 1st 12 ingredients (meat - eggs) in a large bowl, place meat mixture on a sheet of plastic wrap and press meat into a 1 inch thick rectangular shape. Cover with slices of swiss cheese and top with mushrooms. Roll-up jelly roll style and place seam side down on a cookie sheet or a foil pan tucking under edges so cheese won't leak out. Either bake in 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes or put foil pan on grill or in higher temped smoker until internal temp is about 150 degrees (about an hour give or take). Mix pineapple and chili sauce or ketchup and spread on top and sides the last 20 minutes of cooking.

Great with garlic mashed potatoes or twice baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob!

I have also placed meatloaf on a rack in pan to raise out of pan dripping to help bottom brown up a bit.

I hope you enjoy it!

bbqBob

A neighbor just gave my some ground venison and pork. Have enough to make make two. Will make one for him and myself and post some pictures next week. I have made this several times and always taste great. I really like venison and like to make dishes that you can taste it.

Been awhile since I made this recipe. Did not come out as good as I remember. It was kinda of dry. Did not have much smoke flavor. Smoker only came up to 290. Took 1.5 hours to cook. Used apple wood. I think the veggies needed to be cooked before adding but here are the pics:

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Just tried the left over and was a lot better after sitting over night. Smokey and a lot more tender. Go figure.

This meatloaf was a lot better after sitting a day. Held together while slicing and could really see the swirl through the meat. The smokey taste came through nicely and the meat was tender. I was very disappointed the day I made it but it all worked out good. Wish now I wouldn't of gave most of it away. Gave my neighbor half for giving me the meat and most of the rest to a freind that been out of a job for awhile. Just finished the piece I saved for lunch at work and very tasty.

Back